VPN Configuration

Options
terryw
terryw Posts: 5  Freshman Member
edited October 2017 in Smart Home Product
Hi Has anyone set up VPN on the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A, unfortunately the manual is woeful in this area. A detailed explanation of the VPN setup page would be very helpful. Thanks

#CPE_October

Accepted Solution

• Johan
    Johan Posts: 27  Freshman Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Then what you want to set up is a client to site VPN-tunnel.

I do not believe it is possible to set up a client to site VPN on a VMG8924-B10A, only site to site. So for you I believe the way to go would be setting up a client to site VPN-server on a computer behind the router. This computer would of course need to be powered on when you want to use it. You would also need to port-forward/NAT the ports required for VPN to your PC.

All Replies

• Johan
    Options
    Could you explain more on how you wish to use the VPN?

Are you running VMG8924-B10A on both sites you wish to establish an IPSec VPN tunnel in-between?
  • terryw
    Options
    I do not have two sites, I just wanted a secure connection to the internet from any public Wi-Fi system.
  • Johan
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Then what you want to set up is a client to site VPN-tunnel.

I do not believe it is possible to set up a client to site VPN on a VMG8924-B10A, only site to site. So for you I believe the way to go would be setting up a client to site VPN-server on a computer behind the router. This computer would of course need to be powered on when you want to use it. You would also need to port-forward/NAT the ports required for VPN to your PC.
  • terryw
    Options
    Thank you for the clarification, I guess I was hoping the router would be capable of providing the feature I needed. Thanks again.
  • terryw
    Options
    I have configured a Raspberry Pi to provide the VPN Service I need.

Consumer Product Help Center