NSA-325 v2 - upgrading drives

Howard
Howard Posts: 15  Freshman Member
edited November 2018 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi, 

Looking to replace my current 2TB drives with 4TB drives.  Right now I have a RAID1 setup. 

My plan is to pull one drive, add in the new 4TB, rebuild the array, then repeat for the other drive. 

It seems simple enough.  Any major challenges I should be aware of?  Or any better ways of doing this?

#NAS_Nov_2018

All Replies

• Howard
    Didn't work.  

Removed the first drive and the RAID volume went to degraded.  Powered down and inserted the new disk, the volume rebuilt itself, so now working with 1 x old drive and 1 x new drive. 

I then removed the final old drive and inserted the new drive but the RAID volume won't move from "down".  

Is there a way to force the NAS to rebuild the RAID array without wiping all the data? 
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Was the array no longer degraded when the array finished rebuilding? In that case it shouldn't be down after removing the 2nd old disk.

If you re-insert the 2nd old disk, is the array than degraded, or 'up'?
  • Howard
    edited November 2018
    Thanks.

Yes, the RAID array rebuilt and was green with the new/old (2T/4T) combo. 

When I removed the old 2TB disk and left the 4T solo, it showed down, not degraded. 
    But the old 2T drive solo shows degraded, not down. 

I will reinsert the old drive to have both the old drive and new drive (2T/4T) combination which WAS working before and see if it still works. 

I did have a backup of most of the data from the NAS, but not making another more complete backup just in case. 

• Mijzelf
    I did have a backup of most of the data from the NAS, but not making another more complete backup just in case.
    At the moment there is no need to worry about your data. As the raid was healthy before you started, you have now 3 disks containing your data. And a single disk is enough to restore.

• Howard
    Ha ha, thanks.  But you know, it should have worked already so I'm not quite so keen on that assumption. :)

I'll update you again when copying is done. 
  • Howard
    edited November 2018
    ok, data backed up, again. 

For clarity, the two original drives are 2TB, the two new drives are 4TB WB RED NAS drives and are on the compatibility list.  

2TB drives in a RAID array.   I shutdown, pulled one drive, inserted a new drive, booted the NAS, and it showed degraded mode.  It rebuilt by itself, and went green.   Everything seemed good until I inserted the second drive 4TB drive, and it went to down status.

Right now I had removed the new 4TB drive and just have one of the 2TB drives in there.  It's showing degraded. 

I just shutdown and inserted the 4TB drive into the NAS and now it's showing down (not degraded). 

• Howard
    edited November 2018
    I ran a scan and the volume now shows degraded.  I've now started the repair process.  This is with my 4TB and 2TB drive inserted.  

The data should be the same on each, since it successfully built the array earlier and I didn't change any data (perhaps timestamps).  Fingers crossed.  
  • Howard
    ok, RAID is rebuilt, with one old drive and one new drive.  Currently green and displays "healthy". 

I shutdown the NAS and restarted. Still green and healthy. 
    One thing that's strange though.  I can no longer use some of the services.  The Download Service page doesn't allow me to enable the service, and at the bottom it says "Download Service is not available for there is no volume".   Yet me Macbook can read the volume fine and is currently playing a movie off there.  

• Mijzelf
    Can you install the ssh package, if you didn't do so already, login as root over ssh, and execute
    fdisk -l<br>parted -l<br>
    This will show the partition tables of both disks.
  • Howard
    Can't install any packages - "this feature is not available for there is no volume"

Consumer Product Help Center