NAS542, how do I add a second hdd in raid 1

bartvd
bartvd Posts: 5  Freshman Member
edited December 2018 in Personal Cloud Storage
I started my NAS a few months ago, with just 1 3TB Disk.
Yesterday i recieved a second HDD( gotta love christmas, right)  which is also 3TB.

How can i add this disk as a raid1 partition?

#NAS_Dec_2018

All Replies

• bartvd
    This was helpfull,

however, i turned off my nas, added the 2nd HHD and restarted the NAS.
    The second hdd does not get recognised and I hear like a sort of clicking noise inside the NAS.
    Should I wait or is there something i didn't do correctly.

On the NAS Storage manager, I cannot manage my internal storage, and when i click on create it tells me to that : "No disk is available in NAS'.
  • Wiasouda
    Wiasouda Posts: 156  Master Member
    Does the HDD compatibility with NAS542?
    https://www.zyxel.com/products_services/nas540.shtml?t=p#productDetailTab6

Check the HDD is pluging correct and if the same result, type swap HDD1 to slot 2 and HDD2 to slot 1 to make sure the I/O is normal or not.

• bartvd
    It is the same drive as the first 1 : a 3TB Toshiba (HDWD130).
    The sound in my NAS is now a semi-loud biep sound, when i unplug the drive i can feel it has been turning. 

Does this ring a bell somewhere?
  • Wiasouda
    NAS powers on, then SATA can trigger the HDD to run, but it seems the HDD is not compatible for NAS as it is not in the official list.
    The one beep will ring when boot finished.
    Try to test HDD2 in slot 1 to check if NAS can detect the new HDD, if no then you may need to swap a new compatible HDD. 
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    @bartvd : Do you have a way to test that disk outside the NAS? I think it's malfunctioning.
    it seems the HDD is not compatible for NAS as it is not in the official list.
    It's not a compatibility list, it's a 'Verified Hard Disk List'. It's a SATA disk, so it should be compatible. ZyXEL tested a small subset of the available harddisks, and published that list. If any of the tested disks turned out to be not compatible, I would have expected a 'Known Incompatible' list also.

• bartvd
    Since it is also a toshiba, like my first HDD, it should not be incompatible, I am guessing that is indeed broken. It seems like it is not booting propably, therefor creating the noise.

But how do i test if it is broken? I don't have a desktop where I can put it in for test.
  • bartvd
    Update, was ale to test HDD on a laptop of a mate, it is indeed broken, thanks for all the help!
  • Wiasouda
    @Mijzelf
    Thank you for the correction. I will note it as the verified HDD list. :)

Consumer Product Help Center