NAS540 crashes due to high CPU load (python?)

2»

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,600  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    A combined speed of 200mbit is huge. I suppose you are also seeding, in which case you are streaming 40MB in random blocks. At a blocksize of 512kB, that means 80 seek actions a second. A seek on a mechanical harddisk typically costs 20msec, so it's seeking 1600msec per second.
    No wonder something stalls. Although it shouldn't crash.
  • kimme
    kimme Posts: 35  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary
    Ok I can understand that but why is this happening after 5 years of never having the problem. I have a seed limit of 25kbps total so that won't be the issue I think.
    Also why do I only have the problem with large files and not with smaller ones?
  • Mijzelf
    If it's crashed, does it still shutdown normally, when the power button is pressed? In that case Linux is still alive, and you could collect some post mortem info by using the 'intercept copy button' tweak.

• kimme
    First Anniversary
    When it crashes I can't access anything remotely.
    The lights on the NAS itself are still on. I didn't press any buttons yet. 
    What should I configure in the intercept copy button tweak?
  • Mijzelf
    The first action which come to my mind is to dump the output of dmesg to a file on harddisk, to see if the kernel is aware the something is going on.
  • kimme
    First Anniversary
    Can you explain how to do it to a noob like me? :)
  • Mijzelf
    In the Tweaks webinterface tick 'Enable interception', and 'Beep on intercept' is useful too.
    Then, in 'Short press', put
    <div>dmesg >"/i-data/sysvol/admin/\$(date).dmesg"<br></div>
    After you press Apply, that will be changed in '...admin/$(date)...' (without the backslash). Don't press Apply twice, then $(date) will be resolved to the current date. That's a mild bug.

When pressing the copy button, it will write a file 'current date'.dmesg on the admin share. (on release of the button).

Consumer Product Help Center