VMG1312-B10D smb transfer speeds

joerv007
joerv007 Posts: 2  Freshman Member
edited February 2019 in Smart Home Product
Hi guys. 

I am hoping that someone can offer me some advice. I have an iTalk branded Zyxel 
VMG1312-B10D router. I appreciate that this is not a top of the range router. I have connected a USB 3.0 hard drive to the USB port and enabled the SMB share facility on the router. However, I am getting absolutely terrible transfer speeds. Over wifi, I am lucky if it hits 400 kbps. It is faster over Ethernet but not as much as would make sense. It will peak at 1 mbps over Ethernet and that is plugged directly in to the router.

I use the smb share to backup photos and videos as well as streaming videos to my smart tv. As you can imagine, if the video has a higher bit rate than 400 kbps, there is some serious buffering going on.

Surely a router, even a budget router like this should be able to manage better transfer speeds than this. 

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

#CPE_Feb_2019

Comments

• AAAAL
    AAAAL Posts: 125  Ally Member

Hi joerv007,

What’s your VMG1312-B10D firmware version?
    May I know what’s your USB devices? Have you tried other devices and have the same problem?
  • joerv007
    joerv007 Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    Thank you very much AAAAL. It is running Firmware V5.13(AAXA.7)Y0. I have tried updating but I encounter the "illegal file" error that other users are getting. I get the same speeds with all devices but, the device I am using mostly is a Toshiba USB 3.0 1TB hard drive.
  • AAAAL
    AAAAL Posts: 125  Ally Member

Hi joerv007,

Your firmware V5.13(AAXA.7)Y0 is a customized version, the generic firmware may not be suitable for you.
    May I know all your USB devices have a low speed? There are all with the USB3.0 or even USB2.0 have the issue?

Consumer Product Help Center