Which HDD to use when replacing failed HDD in NAS540?

Options
Peter
Peter Posts: 3  Freshman Member
First Anniversary
edited November 2017 in Personal Cloud Storage

Hi All

I have a NAS540 with 4 Seagate Baracuda 2TB HDD installed. The NAS540 is beeping and the Storage Manager says “Volume1 is degraded.” shows that the 3rd HDD has failed. ( Actually does not show “Disk3” at all)

I cannot find the same model of Seagate Baracuda 2TB HDD available any more. There are other 2TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB HDD available.

I have two questions

Can I just put any new 2TB disc in as a replacement?

Can I take the failing disc out and use the raid until I get the replacement?

Any other advice appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Peter

#NAS_November

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,613  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can use any disk which is not smaller than the current one. It's tempting to say any 2TB disk will do, but that might not be the case. On your disk you should find a specification how big it actually is, in sectors (of 512 bytes) or in bytes. At that level the disk should not be smaller.

And yes, you can remove the disk and use the degraded raid array. 

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,613  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can use any disk which is not smaller than the current one. It's tempting to say any 2TB disk will do, but that might not be the case. On your disk you should find a specification how big it actually is, in sectors (of 512 bytes) or in bytes. At that level the disk should not be smaller.

And yes, you can remove the disk and use the degraded raid array. 
  • Ijnrsi
    Ijnrsi Posts: 254  Master Member
    Options
    Hi, 
    You can also refer Zyxel compatibility list in their official web site:
    http://www.zyxel.com/us/en/products_services/nas540.shtml?t=p#productDetailTab6

Actually, the volume is already degraded, then I recommand to replace and repair the volume first before you do any change with your data.
  • Fredzoul1
    Fredzoul1 Posts: 97  Ally Member
    Options
    Install the new HDD ASAP for security of your data.
    Because, another disk can failed, if you have installed all at the same time.
    And when you raid is under repair, all HDD work hard to repair and long time if you have many data, hope all it's ok for you :-)
  • Peter
    Peter Posts: 3  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi All

Thanks for the replies.

Just for any one else in the same situation. I had 4 Seagate ST2000DM001 (2TB) disks installed
    I have now replaced the failed HDD with another 2TB Seagate ST2000DM006.

The installation was easy and the “recovery” or “restoration” of the raid was also very straight forward. It did however take the whole day to sync up. But I did not loose any data. Yay!

So on the whole I am very happy with how things turned out and the NAS540 Raid is well worth the money spent.

I realize that the NAS I have is old but the list provided by Zyxel is very much out of date. But it would be nice if they could update it with a compatibles list.

Regards

Peter

• Fredzoul1
    Fredzoul1 Posts: 97  Ally Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Happy for you, it's perfect !
    Have everytime a new HDD in reserve, with this you can rapidly change a failed HDD and secure you data :-)
    See you :-)
  • brw
    brw Posts: 8  Freshman Member
    Options
    HOW do you replace a faulty HDD? I have 4x6TB WD RED disks, and my NAS beeps and complains about being "Degraded". In storage manager it shows as it's Drive 1 that's the problem, but if I remove that disk it shows as "Volume down" and I cannot access anything at all.

If I go to the "Repair" tab and then swap the faulty drive for a new one and click continue nothing happens it doesn't start any rebuilding process or anything. I feel a bit stupid here, but it's frustrating as I cannot seem to find anywhere the procedure for replacing a faulty drive on a degraded volume is being described.

Right now with the 4 original HDDs I get beeping and no functionality, but I am at least able to browse the volume and see that data is there. If I replace the faulty one with a new one the volume goes down and nothjing is accessible.

So please Zyxel (or anyone) if you could help me out here that'd be swell as I have 8TB I would really like access to..

Consumer Product Help Center