Rsync with NSA325v2 Multiple Shares Best Practice?

Options
dafunkynas
dafunkynas Posts: 2  Freshman Member
edited December 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
I'm running a NSA325v2 as HomeNAS in my local Network, and just bought a cheap 2nd one for Backup Purpose. Both with two JBOD (but different HDD) each, my Main-NAS with multiple Shares.
I configured a Rsync-Job for Testing, and it works like a Charm. Now im wondering, what would be the best Strategy for regulary Backups?
Dream: Best would be a Click and forget - Backup boots up every week or so, after beeing available it incremental backups up the changes and afterwards shuts down. For Speed Reasons i wanted to avoid DAR, therefore Rsync. Even better, if the Backup BAS is not available for whatever Reasons, it continues after beeing available again. I doubt this would be possible like that, anyway.

What would you recommend me?
What happens if there are 10 Rsyncs for different shares starting at the same Time, what if the NAS aint available at that particular Time?

Thanks for sharing your Experience and Thoughts! :-)

#NAS_Dec_2019

All Replies

• lodiabai
    lodiabai Posts: 120  Ally Member
    Options
    what would be the best Strategy for regulary Backups?
    I think this depends on your usage and expectation.

Best would be a Click and forget - Backup boots up every week or so, after beeing available it incremental backups up the changes and afterwards shuts down.
    You can setup the job of Backup Planner and also Power On/Off Schedule.

For Speed Reasons i wanted to avoid DAR, therefore Rsync.
    To my knowledge, DAR is used for "Archive" type of backup. You can consider to use Synchronization/Rsync to backup your files.

• dafunkynas
    dafunkynas Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    Options
    Thanks for your Reply!

Mhm. "I think this depends on your usage and expectation."
    I was hoping at least the latter i was explaining quite good ;-)

Usage: At the Moment its 5TB Data, serves Data whenever i need them. It grows roughly around 0,5 - 1TB per Year.
    Expectation: Best Case a Click and Forget-Backup, in Case of Failure easy to pull off Data, or even switch the Nas to the Backup-Nas. Only Online during the Backup.
    Even better would be Incremental keeping Files, deleting the oldest Increment by needed Space. (I highly doubt that this would be possible, as i then would need to switch to DAR, which would be signifant slower)

"You can setup the job of Backup Planner and also Power On/Off Schedule."
    That was one of my Questions:
    How should i know how long each Job takes? That can vary between one Minute up to 12 Hours.
    What happens when lets say 10 Jobs are running parallel? What, when it shuts down too early?
    How can i avoid the Backup beeing up and online for too long? (It sits in a different Room - my sleeping Room... :-p)

Consumer Product Help Center