GS1200-8 - Management VLAN (Firmware V1.00(ABME.4)C0)

senfsosse
senfsosse Posts: 1
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hello,

In firmware V1.00(ABME.4)C0 for the GS1200 switch series there is a new feature implemented:
  1. ...
  2. Management VID is VLAN 1 only.
According to the wording it seems the management VLAN is fix on VLAN 1 and this VLAN cannot be changed by the owner.

While limiting management to a single VLAN is quite desireable, it is suboptimal to limit it to VLAN 1 without the possibility to change this setting according to local needs. Actually, it is best practise to move away management from VLAN 1 (which is the default VLAN and therefore prone to unwanted traffic/attacks). Furthermore it is best practise to not use VLAN 1 at all due to security considerations.

I'd like to open a feature request to enable the administrator to individually set a management VLAN as is the case with the GS1900 series from Zyxel.

Kind regards,
Thomas

#Home_Switch_Mar_2019

All Replies

• Zyxel_Steven
    Zyxel_Steven Posts: 246  Zyxel Employee
    @senfsosse,
    Thanks for your feature request and welcome to ZYXEL COMMUNITY HOME FORUM!
    I have moved this post to Ideas Discussions. And we will evaluate it. :)
  • yggdrasil
    yggdrasil Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    I'd like to second senfsosse. I recently bought a GS1200 as an extension to my GS1920 in my small-business+home setup. Not being able to use the same VLAN ID to use for my internal management network like I use everywhere else is an annoyance to say the least.
  • yggdrasil
    yggdrasil Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    @Zyxel_Steven Any news here?
  • Mel
    Mel Posts: 83  Ally Member
    There has the workaround that downgraded to previous firmware version, it doesn't limit any Management VID, which means any VID can access the web interface of GS1200 series.
  • Zyxel_Steven
    Zyxel_Steven Posts: 246  Zyxel Employee
    @yggdrasil,
    Currently, GS1200 hasn't plan to allow to change its Management VID 1.
  • Leon1
    Leon1 Posts: 2
    PLEASE fix this! My management will force me to replace all Zyxel Switches because of the decreased security as the default VLAN ID 1 is the fallback VLAN for not authorized devices in our global networks. This will be terrible, as we are using a lot of them... Rolling back the firmware is no option due to possible security issues when we will be unable to apply future security patches. Can you please undo this change and allow to set the management access to a specific VLAN?

Thank you!
    Leon
  • AndrewtITA
    AndrewtITA Posts: 3  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Bump Up.. This schedule is confirmed?
    I think me and many other IT managers are waiting to know if we can continue to invest in this devices or to move to higher tier devices/brands
  • AndrewtITA
    AndrewtITA Posts: 3  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Firmware V2.00(ABME.0) rolled out on 10/14/2020, it wasn't available at time i posted but doesn't matter, now management vlan configuration is available. Thanks for collaboration
  • Leon1
    Leon1 Posts: 2
    We have already sorted out all Zyxel Switches. We had very mysterious problems in our network with those devices attached to it. It seems more a product for home use only.