Maximum disk size for NAS542

Huseyin B
Huseyin B Posts: 6  Freshman Member
edited November 2020 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi everyone,

http://origin-eu.zyxel.com/uk/en/products_services/4-Bay-Personal-Cloud-Storage-NAS542/specifications on this page it says max hard disk support is 16x4=64TB
  • Four 2.5" or 3.5" SATA II hard disk the max support up to 64 TB (16 TB x4)
I know that there is a limit about volume, the max volume size is 16TB. So if I put 16TBx4disk to my NAS542 can I create two volume with RAID1 and can I get one volum 16TB and another volume with 16TB?

Is there anyone who tried these big size disks? I want to know the maximum disk size I can install in this device and install it. 

All Replies

• Huseyin B
    Hello, These are the specs that can be find on internet. 

I want to hear from someone who experienced this. I want to find the maximum disk size which you put to NAS542 and if it is worked.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    hairivicky is a spam bot.

The 542 supports multiple volumes on a single disk. So it is possible to have a 16TiB raid5 array on 4 disks, and use the remaining space for another raid5 array. That was the solution for big disks which was implemented when support for 256TiB volumes was dropped in firmware 5.10.
    But I don't know if it is possible to add a 3th volume on a disk. I never looked at the implementation for the 2nd volume.
    And yes, it should be possible to create 2 raid1 arrays using 4 disks. Yet I have no experience with it.
  • Huseyin B
    What about that; 

I'll put 4x16TiB disk and create two RAID1 on them with volume size 16TiB. What do you think it is possible?
  • Mijzelf
    Should be possible.
  • Huseyin B
    Hi there,

I've bought 4x12TB disk (SEAGATE ST12000VN0008 12TB 3.5'' 7200RPM 256MB Sata3 Ironwolf). 

First I put 2 of them and created RAID1. It worked.

After I put another 2 and created RAID1. It worked.

I think it would be work if I get 14TB or 16TB disk but I bought 12TB because the support team said that the official max supported harddisk size is 24TB, if I use RAID. So I bought these.

Here is the screenshot:

• Huseyin B
    I've also tried to make it RAID5 and it worked.
    First I've created a disk group. After I created 2 volumes (16TBx2) and it seems it worked.

• Mijzelf
    First I've created a disk group. After I created 2 volumes (16TBx2) and it seems it worked.
    And a third one? There is still 700GB available.
  • Huseyin B
    I didn't tried it but I should work. 

My latest setup is: 
    Volume1: RAID1 with 10TB
    Volume2: RAID1 with 10TB

I'll use this. 

Consumer Product Help Center