[Solved] gs1200-8 management

Options
Trebbes
Trebbes Posts: 3
First Comment
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hi all,
it's the first time I setup a managed switch and I'm having some headaches.
1) I cannot upgrade the firmware. My device is running version V1.00 ABME.5 C0 and it refuses to upgrade complaining that GS1200-8_V2.00(ABME.0)C0.zip, downloaded many times from official site, is not the right one.  I don't think this is relevant in my configuration, but it's weird.
2) Despite my setup is working well, I'm unable to access my zyxel from lan. I have to plug a cable into port 1 to manage the switch that is not the wanted behaviour.

This is my configuration
Zyxel switch has IP 192.168.165.3, which is in my lan range.
A RaspberryPi plugged into port 3 as router with 3 interfaces:
- eth0 192.168.100.1  (why this ip works and 192.168.165.xxx doesn't???)
- eth0.62 dhcp (wan)
- eth0.165 bridge eth0 eth0.165  static ip 192.168.165.1 (lan) cable to RaspberryPI on port 3
Port 1 unassigned in order to manage the switch looking for a better solution, port 2 wan cable, port 3 Raspberry, ports 4-8 lan cables.
Switch setup (vlan 254 it's a failed test) is in following picture

What I'm wrong?
Thank in advance

My kind regards

DDep

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Jonas
    Zyxel_Jonas Posts: 313  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Trebbes,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!
    Regarding the inquiry, 

1) I cannot upgrade the firmware. My device is running version V1.00 ABME.5 C0 and it refuses to upgrade complaining that GS1200-8_V2.00(ABME.0)C0.zip, downloaded many times from official site, is not the right one.  I don't think this is relevant in my configuration, but it's weird.
    I've made a local test by downloading the latest version V2.00 from our global website, it's downloadable and can successfully upgrade GS1200-8 from V1.00 ABME.5 C0 to V2.00(ABME.0)C0.
    More likely the event is more related to the file is not download completely or wrong file.
    Please refer to the attached file for the FW zip file, you'll need to unzip the file first, the firmware file name is GS1200-8_V2.00(ABME.0)C0.bin and the correct size should be 672 KB.

2) Despite my setup is working well, I'm unable to access my zyxel from lan. I have to plug a cable into port 1 to manage the switch that is not the wanted behaviour.
    Just would like to inform that current GS1200-8 V1.00 ABME.5 C0 doesn't support management VLAN, therefore you'll need to upgrade to the latest version V2.00(ABME.0)C0.
    After the firmware upgrade, please go to management and change "Management VID" to your preferred VLAN, eg. 165.

Hope it helps.
    Jonas,

All Replies

• Trebbes
    Options
    I partially answer by myself. With the same configuration a TP-Link switch is working as expected so maybe my Zyxel device, by bad luck or by design, is faulty.
    As I can't even upgrade the firmware Is there any other test to do before send it back to Amazon?

My kind regards
  • Zyxel_Jonas
    Zyxel_Jonas Posts: 313  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Trebbes,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!
    Regarding the inquiry, 

I've made a local test by downloading the latest version V2.00 from our global website, it's downloadable and can successfully upgrade GS1200-8 from V1.00 ABME.5 C0 to V2.00(ABME.0)C0.
    More likely the event is more related to the file is not download completely or wrong file.
    Please refer to the attached file for the FW zip file, you'll need to unzip the file first, the firmware file name is GS1200-8_V2.00(ABME.0)C0.bin and the correct size should be 672 KB.

Just would like to inform that current GS1200-8 V1.00 ABME.5 C0 doesn't support management VLAN, therefore you'll need to upgrade to the latest version V2.00(ABME.0)C0.
    After the firmware upgrade, please go to management and change "Management VID" to your preferred VLAN, eg. 165.

Hope it helps.
    Jonas,
  • Trebbes
    Options
    Many thanks Jonas for your answer.
    Shame on me!! 'you'll need to unzip the file first' is the relevant part of the topic.
    Now I can manage the switch within the lan.

Sorry for the noise.

My best regards