SNMP or other solution for monitoring XGS1210-12 ?

bvivi57
bvivi57 Posts: 2
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hi, I just acquired 2 XGS1210-12 switches. It's a very good product with a very good quality/price ratio, but it's a shame not to have any solution to monitor it.

Apart from the web interface, it's not possible to use an external monitoring solution (nagios, zabbbix, prometheus...) to get information about the switch status, or to get traffic statistics.
Do you think you will bring these features one day via a firmware update?

Thanks

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jason
    Zyxel_Jason Posts: 394  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @bvivi57 ,

First of all, thanks for choosing XGS1210 for your network.

XGS1210 desktop switches are intended for Home/SOHO users with just a few other networking devices in their network.
    A simple management tool such as web GUI is sufficient to setup such network easily for most cases.

As external monitoring tools are mostly used for small-medium networks, SNMP feature is supported by more advanced Smart Managed Switches such as the GS1900 series.
    Hence, there’s currently no plan to add this to the desktop Switch series for now.
    Jason
  • bvivi57 said:
    Hi, I just acquired 2 XGS1210-12 switches. It's a very good product with a very good quality/price ratio, but it's a shame not to have any solution to monitor it.

Apart from the web interface, it's not possible to use an external monitoring solution (nagios, zabbbix, prometheus...) to get information about the switch status, or to get traffic statistics.
    Do you think you will bring these features one day via a firmware update?

Thanks
    Have you contacted the support yet?

• Roeleveld
    Roeleveld Posts: 3
    Friend Collector First Comment

Hi @Zyxel_Jason ,

I understand what you are saying, but you don't really have a viable alternative. The only other switches with the same support for multi-gigabit are physically too big to fit in the locations where I need them. Which is why I selected this switch. I do, however, need some kind of monitoring to check how much bandwidth each port is using.

I would not have a problem paying for a more advanced switch (preferably one with a better designed interface), but the form-factor is definitely an issue.

Thanks

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 522  Zyxel Employee

Hi @Roeleveld

Currently, the XGS1210-12 could provide the information like Link Status, Tx, Rx parameter, and the CRC error counter on the interface System > Per Port Status. Could you please confirm if these details align with your requirements?

However, for more comprehensive data, including transmission speeds of data received on the ports (port utilization), we currently offer support through our other smart managed switch series models. If you're open to exploring alternatives, you might want to consider the XMG1915 series and XS1930 series, which also support multi-gigabit functionality.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else we can assist you with.

Kay

• Roeleveld
    edited March 26

Hi @Zyxel_Kay ,

Those numbers are nearly what I am looking for. I don't see the amount of data being sent. Only packets, which is not usable

Also, I need to be able to load them using prometheus to be able to track bandwidth usage over a longer time. Just the numbers on the webpage are not usable at all.

I did look into the other switches, like the ones you mentioned, but those would not work.

I can fit the 1915, but then would loose half the speed and am unable to replace the wiring.

The 1930 would fit the bandwidth, but it's too deep.

Ideally, I am looking for something the size of the 1210, but with at least SNMP support.

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 522  Zyxel Employee

Hi @Roeleveld

I can fit the 1915, but then would loose half the speed and am unable to replace the wiring.

The XMG1915-10E supports 8x 2.5GbE ports and 2x SFP+ ports. I'm unsure about what you mean by 'would lose half the speed'. Could you please provide more details?

Kay

• Roeleveld

Hi @Zyxel_Kay ,

I currently manage to run 5gbit through these switches using 5e cabling. If I were to switch to the XMG1915-10E, I would be reduced to 2.5gbit. (which is half)