USG60 and WAX610D

hthelin
hthelin Posts: 6
Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
Hi,

I thought/assumed I would be able to control two WAX610D from a USG60 but I cannot get it to work. Should it work?

Thx
Henric

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓

Hi @hthelin

No problem. If you require any further information, feel free to contact us.

Here updates the solution for users’ reference:

Since controller and AP must be upgraded to latest firmware to successfully manage new 802.11ax APs or AP will keeps offline status.

Due to local storage limitation and Controller firmware package size concern, not all AP’s firmware will be stored in AP Controller by default. WAX610D is the one which firmware must be downloaded from Cloud Server.

Click “Check” and “Apply” on GUI to download latest cloud AP firmware.

Regards,

Bella

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,654  Guru Member
    You should be able too.

is it not shown up in AP Management? are the AP directly connected to the USG?

You may need to allow udp ports 2018 and 5246 from lan to 
    ZyWALL.
  • hthelin
    Friend Collector
    Thanks for the feedback. It does show up but I cannot adjust any settings:

Maybe a matter of RTFM..? :)

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,654  Guru Member

Have you setup the SSID and in AP Management > AP group made a group name and moved the AP in the list for that name?

• Zyxel_Bella

Hi @hthelin

Welcome to Zyxel Community!

From your screenshot the AP is offline and doing firmware upgrading according to the lightning icon.

APs will be online and manageable after firmware upgrade.

We’d appreciate your feedback if you still have problems with setting up.

Thank you.

Regards,

Bella

• hthelin
    Friend Collector
    edited May 2021
    Yes that part looks correct. I used to have two NWA5123-XX but now then upgrading to two new APs so the SSID etc. is already setup. I checked so the new AP is part of the group and I have removed the old APs.

At the moment I have only mounted one new AP. It is like the USG60 sees the AP but doesn't want/cannot change anything and see CPU utilization etc. Could it be:
    - My USG60 is somehow too old? I have updated to latest FW
    - I want to remember my USG60 came with license for two APs. I have removed the old APs but maybe that is still an issue?

I see, thanks for the feedback. The AP has been up for ~3 days now but I will try to restart it and see if that helps.
  • Zyxel_Bella

Hi @hthelin

It’s good to hear you finished the setup.

You said that one AP is not manageable, is the AP NWA5123-AC and its status is offline?

If the AP is offline then the configurations change won’t apply, please screenshot or provide more information to us.

USG60 can manage up to 8 APs so only 8 of managed APs can be online at same time.

Thank you.

Regards,

Bella

• hthelin
    Friend Collector
    To give an overview the setup consists of:
    - One USG60 which since the beginning has been controlling two APs
    - The setup used to consist of two NWA5123-NI - overdue to replace but was working ok and are now removed
    - I am working to add two WAX610D. One is connected and running via POE so far but since I couldn't configure it via the USG I have not added the other AP yet. The first AP is working ok after configuring it manually via web GUI.

I am not sure what information is useful, can you please let me know what would help? Thx
  • Zyxel_Bella

Hi @hthelin

Thanks for the information. We’ve successfully used the USG60 with firmware V4.62 to manage WAX610D with firmware V6.20 so we’ll need your help to confirm the problem.

Please correct me if any misunderstanding of my conclusion as below.

The situation is one of your WAX610D is offline on USG but you can configure it manually via AP’s local web GUI, this means the AP doesn’t work in managed mode. Because the web page will show the message when AP is managed: This AP is managed by AP controller. To manage this AP, please access AP controller's web interface.

Can you provide Diagnostics of USG for us to check CAPWAP log? Collect at Maintenance > Diagnostics > Controller > Collect Now. The file can be downloaded at Files Tab.

You can also ssh into AP and run the commands to check AP’s managed status if possible. AC-IP should be USG’s IP and State is RUN then AP can be online.

Router# show capwap ap info

Regards,

Bella

• hthelin
    Friend Collector
    Many thanks @Zyxel_Bella

The description of the situation is correct. I would add that I have two WAX610D but I have only added one of them so far. Maybe I should try with the other one and see if that works?

Here is from the USG60:
    Router> show capwap ap info
    Online mgnt ap: 0
    Offline mgnt ap: 1
    Un-mgnt ap: 0
    Station : 0

Diagnostics is coming, currently collecting.

• hthelin
    Friend Collector
    Works after having updated the AP's firmware on the USG60 as pointed out by Zyxel_Bella. Many thanks!