My clients, mostly IOT devices are being disconnected daily NWA50AX

m7urt
m7urt Posts: 16  Freshman Member
10 Comments
I have 2 NWA50AX access points

My clients, mostly IOT devices are being disconnected daily

if I reboot the devices, everything reconnects. I've tried numerous things (unable to remember what, following advice on other threads etc)

really spoiling my experience now, things like thermostats are bing disconnected and I'm waking up to a cold house.

please help

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    please help
    Fine by me but you should have to be ready to
    • describe in detailed way your network setup and AP configuration
    • tell if there are surrounding network that might cause interference
    • if there are any kind of Electromagnetic interfering devices like microwave or similar
    • do maybe again some the things you've tried
    And... help also understand the community something more than your current dissatisfaction :-)
  • m7urt
    10 Comments
    Network consists of, Virgin Media Router (type 4 hub), into a netgear switch, out to the 2 AP's, all wired
    Modem has an SSID, AP's have 4 SSID's between them, all different names of course
    No microwaves or similar sources of interference around
    one AP is upstairs, one AP is downstairs, typically 14-16 clients connect with 75/25 split favouring upstairs AP

all is connected again after rebooting the AP's but I'm expecting that they will drop again tomorrow
    not sure what your last comment meant, sorry

• mMontana
    edited November 2022
    4 SSIDs mean 4 different subnets or everything lies on the same network segment?
    Which is the channel configuration of the two APs?
    Are some schedules configured for network access?
    Is dynamic channel enabled? (DCS should be the name of the setting)
  • m7urt
    10 Comments
    I just setup 4 SSID's so whatever the default was, one is a guest, one is for IoT devices etc...
    both seem to be reporting channel 11 (DCS), signal seems strong with a wifi analyzer app
    yes some are configured to go off at midnight, but the ones that I have my clients in question connecting to remain on 24/7
    tried DCS both on and off
  • mMontana
    edited November 2022
    Test 1 for starting:
    for every AP run a survey for rogue APs, and find which channel interval is less crowded.
    Once found the correct channel space, pick for any of the APs one among these three channels: 1, 6, 11. Disable DCS, and configure the designed channel for the specific AP. Please, do not enable for these tests unless requested. The suggestion are referred to 2.4GHz which should be the most loved for the IoT devices.
    All of the SSIDs should follow the current schedule.
    Three days without any issues won't be the "yay, we're good" but a good start. One day with issue is enough for try something different.

Next step will be disable the schedules and allow 24/7 all SSIDs to work, with the same channel setup.
  • m7urt
    10 Comments
    OK cool, but how do I do this - "run a survey for rogue APs"
  • mMontana
    I do not have any NWA50AX and I do not use Nebula.
    Than, User manual is your best friend ;)

Page 85/261

AP can scan for active networks that it can sense and report them into specific interface section.
    This helps you to understand better the environment of networks.

• m7urt
    10 Comments
    unfortunately that manual appears to be out of date. None of the menus match the interface I see with Nebyla. I can't find where to look for them but I think I can rule out rogue AP's

I've skipped to the next step and put the AP's onto channel 6 and disabled DCS
    I've also turned off 5ghz on the IOT SSID

lets see what happens

thanks for you help so far
  • Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 522  Zyxel Employee
    edited November 2022

From your description, we know that your IoT devices often disconnected with your AP, and the SSID which IoT devices connecting with is active 24/7.  

Besides, we also know that your signal strength is good, may I know how is the signal level (ex: -XX dbm) of your IoT devices?  
    You may check it at Nebula CC >> Access point >> Monitor >> Clients

For more clearly identify your condition, we would also like to know your AP current firmware version and the event logs on Nebula CC when your IoT devices get disconnection. 

Thanks for your help. 😊 

Kay 

Kay

• m7urt
    10 Comments
    No disconnections today as far as I can tell :)

Both AP's are on firmware v6.29 (ABYW.1)

Most clients are Orange or Green, I know I have a few that are out of the way that are fairly week but remain connected.

Nebula Tips & Tricks