GS1900-8HP POE Issue

New community member here, and new to ZyXEL products.  Also, new to using POE.

I recently purchased a GS1900-8HP POE+ switch (hardware revision B1).  I have successfully configured the switch for my purposes.  My issue is getting the switch to power up attached PDs.

I am attempting to use POE splitter devices (12V and USB-C) to power my non-POE end devices.  I have been unsuccessful so far.  The end device does not power up. The switch does not indicate that it is delivering power to these devices as indicated by the switch port LED status light or via the management web interface.  The POE splitter devices also do not indicate that they are receiving power (LED status light).

I have upgraded the switch to the latest firmware: 2.70(AAHI.3).  I have tried reseting the switch via the reset button on the front panel.  I have tried two 12V POE splitter devices and a USB-C POE splitter device.  These devices appear to be 802.3af/at compliant.  The label on the devices indicate that they support both mode A and B power delivery options.  I have no reason to believe that all 3 of these devices are defective, that would be quite a coincidence!

I have never been able to get this new switch to deliver power since I unboxed it.

Is there anything I can do to determine what the switch is doing?  I have looked at the tech support log and I don't see anything obvious that would indicate an error.  I do not get any errors in the management web interface when attempting to change POE settings (as some forum posts have indicated).  Is there anything else that I am overlooking?

I am getting the impression from browsing the community forum that (rightly or wrongly) these switches have had issues with POE.  This certainly concerns me a bit and makes me wonder if I have purchased the correct switch for my needs.  I will remain cautiously optimistic in this regard!

Any advise is appreciated!

ba

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,626  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Hi @bhaotf,

Thanks for the tech support and apologize for the late reply.

You don't need to set up a syslog server or SSH to the switch since the tech support will collect all of the information we need to investigate the problem.

In addition, the tech support does not show any errors on PoE function and the web GUI does not show PoE init fail, it looks like the PoE function of your switch is fine.

Port 4's status shows “LineDriver” in the Cable Diagnostic part, this means the port is connected to another port but they don't link up.
    There are many possible reasons that the port can't link up, such as cable issues or broken hardware.

In order to confirm the switch port is fine, could you help to connect another device to port 4?
    If it can link up, that means the the PoE splitter might have some problem or maybe it is an IOP issue.

For the PoE splitter, just like I mentioned in the private message, I'm not sure which PoE splitter works with GS1900-8HP since there are too many PoE splitter vendors with different designs.
    And if you want to improve the WiFi coverage in your house, you could consider our NWA50AX which is our cheapest WiFi 6 AP. Or you could purchase a PoE camera to monitor around your house.

Cheers

Zyxel Melen

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    edited February 2023
    Hi @bhaotf,

Have you already tested that use the switch to power up you PDs?
    If not, could you test it first? I would like to make sure the switch can power up the PDs.

Also, could you share the model name of your PDs? I would like to check its specification. Many thanks.

Zyxel Melen

• Have you already tested that use the switch to power up you PDs?
    If not, could you test it first? I would like to make sure the switch can power up the PDs.
    I am not exactly sure what your question is.  Are you asking whether I have tried to power up a PD without using a splitter?  Unfortunately, I do not have a PD that is POE capable.  This is why I am using a POE splitter in the first place.
    Also, could you share the model name of your PDs? I would like to check its specification.
    In this case, isn't the "PD" that the switch sees the POE splitter?  The POE splitter models that I am using are in the links in the original post (which link to the Amazon page for the devices that I purchased).  The label on the 12V POE splitter (model PS5712TG) indicates an output of 12V@2A, 802.3af/at compliant.  The label on the USB-C splitter (model TYPEC0503G) indicates an output of 5V@3A, 802.3af/at compliant.

The devices that I am trying to power with the 12V POE splitter are a Belkin RT3200 WiFi 6 router (input is 12V@2A) and an ODROID N2+ (input is 12V@2A).  My understanding is that the max of 24W required by these devices are within the ability of 802.3at to supply to the PD. I have also tried using the USB-C splitter to power a Netgear MR-1100 LTE router.  The power brick that is used to power the Netgear router is rated at 5V@2A.  This power brick has a USB-A output.  Power is supplied to the device from this power brick via a USB-A to USB-C cable that attaches to the router.

Please refer to this post on the ODROID forum website for a test and evaluation of powering ODROID SBCs using the same 12V POE splitter that I am using.  This is how I arrived at purchasing this 12V POE splitter in the first place.

Thank you for your response.  Hopefully I have answered your questions.  If there is any additional information I can provide, please let me know.

Thank you,

ba

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @bhaotf,

Thanks for the detailed information.

Could we have a test that connects your router or ODROID with the PoE splitter first, then connects to the GS1900-8HP?

This is because the PoE splitter might not request power from the switch when it connects to nothing, which causes the switch determines the connecting device is not a PD.

Zyxel Melen

• Hi Melen,

I have performed the tests that you requested. I tried 2 different 12V POE splitters with the ODROID as well as the Belkin router...connecting the 12V output from the splitter to the 12V input on the device first, then connecting the splitter ethernet connection to the switch I also tried the USB-C POE splitter with the Netgear LTE router. Unfortunately, no success, no power up. The POE LED indicator on the splitter and the switch does not turn on.

Is there anything that you could determine from the tech support log, or some other log from the switch? Is there anything else I can try? What are next steps?

Thanks for your prompt responses and help.

Cheers,

ba

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @bhaotf,

Thanks for the feedback.

However, this is our first case the user reports the PoE splitter cannot work with GS1900-8HP.

To better located the problem, could you also ask the sales of the PoE splitter for support? What might cause this problem?

Back to the GS1900 side, could you help to check if the web GUI shows a red banner "PoE init fail"?

Also, you mention that you have checked the tech support. Could you send the tech support to me via PM?

Zyxel Melen

• Hi Melen,

Thanks for the response. I just sent you a tech support log I took from the switch today.

Would there be additional information that might be helpful if I setup a syslog server and have the switch log to that server? I have not tried enabling ssh access to the switch. If I did that, do I end up with shell access and are there some commands that I might use to further diagnose this issue?

I have never seen a “PoE init fail” message on the web GUI.

Getting support for the POE splitter could be problematic. I purchased the unit from Amazon. FWIW, I haven't seen any comments about this unit having issues. But, I will look into it.

Could you suggest a POE splitter or some other (inexpensive) POE device that I could purchase that you know to work with the GS1900-8HP? That might be helpful as a test.

Thanks again for your support.

Cheers,

ba

• Zyxel_Melen
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Hi @bhaotf,

Thanks for the tech support and apologize for the late reply.

You don't need to set up a syslog server or SSH to the switch since the tech support will collect all of the information we need to investigate the problem.

In addition, the tech support does not show any errors on PoE function and the web GUI does not show PoE init fail, it looks like the PoE function of your switch is fine.

Port 4's status shows “LineDriver” in the Cable Diagnostic part, this means the port is connected to another port but they don't link up.
    There are many possible reasons that the port can't link up, such as cable issues or broken hardware.

In order to confirm the switch port is fine, could you help to connect another device to port 4?
    If it can link up, that means the the PoE splitter might have some problem or maybe it is an IOP issue.

For the PoE splitter, just like I mentioned in the private message, I'm not sure which PoE splitter works with GS1900-8HP since there are too many PoE splitter vendors with different designs.
    And if you want to improve the WiFi coverage in your house, you could consider our NWA50AX which is our cheapest WiFi 6 AP. Or you could purchase a PoE camera to monitor around your house.

Cheers

Zyxel Melen

• Hi Melen,

Thanks for the info.

I ordered a NWA50AX, which arrived yesterday. I attached it to the switch and it powered up just fine via POE! So, you are correct, there is nothing wrong with the switch, the fault lies with the POE splitters.

To wrap up this thread, and for everyone elses information, the following POE splitters do NOT work with the GS1900-8HP:

* Gigabit PoE Splitter 12V 2A Output with IEEE 802.3af/at Standard Compliant

* Gigabit Type C PoE Splitter 5V 3A, IEEE 802.3af/at Standard

This is unfortunate since it is difficult to source a 12V POE splitter that can supply 2A. These are being returned and I'll keep looking for a unit that works. If anyone has a recommendation for a POE splitter that can supply 12V @ 2A and works with the GS1900-8HP, I would really appreciate it! Same for a working USB-C POE splitter.

Thanks for all of you help. Excellent support!!!

Cheers,

ba

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @bhaotf,

I want to share with you that we ordered the two PoE splitters you bought and test them with GS1900-8HP. The PoE splitters I got work properly. Here're my result photos:

Gigabit PoE Splitter 12V 2A Output with IEEE 802.3af/at Standard Compliant:

Gigabit Type C PoE Splitter 5V 3A, IEEE 802.3af/at Standard:

The PoE splitter you purchased may be abnormal. I hope you can get functional PoE splitters after the return.

Zyxel Melen

• bhaotf
    bhaotf Posts: 8
    10 Comments

Hi Melen,

Well, that is interesting. I had no luck with these units. I figured after two separate orders for the 12V version as well as a USB-C version, it just wasn't going to work. I ended up purchasing two of the following devices…they work just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7HYWQF

I actually think these are better devices in that they appear to run alot cooler when powering devices. I haven't yet tried the USB-C version of this device…its a bit pricey and I decided I could live without it for the moment.

Also, the NWA50AX that I purchased is also working well. It is a nice device.

Excellent support from you. I am impressed. I will certainly be buying additional ZyXEL equipment as the need arises in the future!

Cheers,

ba