[NEBULA] Alias for Nebula device and a device Name for Add device by Nebula APP

Godzilla
Godzilla Posts: 2  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited April 2021 in Nebula
Hi There,
I would like to know if we can have an Alias name for my Nebula device like NAP or NSG when they are in stock.
Now in Organization inventory; I can only see MAC address and serial number; no other description can be added.

also when I use Nebula APP to add Nebula device; can I add a name for this device as well.
So once it is upload to NCC;we can have name to help where is this inventory located.

Thanks.

Godzilla

Accepted Solution

All Replies

• RUnglaube
    RUnglaube Posts: 135  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited March 2017
    That sounds really helpful for me as well!
    "You will never walk along"
  • Zyxel_CSO
    Zyxel_CSO Posts: 375  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited March 2017
    @Godzilla and @RUnglaube

That's a great suggestion to implement alias for nebula devices via Nebula APP or direct in Organization inventory ! We will have an internal discussion pertaining to your feature request.

Please stay tuned for the updates :)
  • flottmedia
    flottmedia Posts: 56  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Nebula Gratitude Friend Collector First Answer
    +1
    Feature seems to be implemented partly meanwhile, e.g. the name of a switch, AP, or gateway can be set, but nevertheless this name does not show up (cannot be configured as additional column for display) in Inventory. Furthermore the name <> MAC matching doesn't seem to be used in the description colum of switch clients. Both would be very helpful.

• flottmedia
    Also gateways don't use changed descriptions / names of nebula devices als client description. So beside the automatic correct display of client descriptions of all nebula internal devices with changed description / name, it would be really helpful, if once changed client names (e.g. in Switch > Client) would be also used as (global / site-wide) description in all other client lists (e.g. in Gateway > Client). In the current NCC version you would need to change the client description manually on every device type. :(
  • Zyxel_Freda
    Zyxel_Freda Posts: 397  Zyxel Employee
    Hi @flottmedia

Thanks for your suggestion and we have the plan to enhance the client name sync with the device name as you suggested.

• CrazyTacos
    CrazyTacos Posts: 53  Ally Member
    I am not fully onboard with this idea. There are cases where sites under the same organization are dedicated for different customers. If descriptions can be carried over between sites, then this could lead to some privacy issues. 

For the means to determine where the stocked device are physically located, maybe we can apply tags on the Inventory list. This can also help with search filters.
  • flottmedia

There are cases where sites under the same organization are dedicated for different customers. 

@CrazyTacos: can you provide an example, because if you really want to separate "customers", I would assume you would use different organizations (inside one Nebula account), wouldn't you?

Anyhow, as far as I can see, the site-/organization-wide synchronization of the descriptions (as more human readable client / device identifiers than e.g. the MAC addresses) by itself would not lead to any privacy issues. Especially there isn't anybody forcing you to use those descriptions, so if you want more "privacy" you could simply avoid setting a description. All I was saying is that descriptions that have been manually set for one type of device should then (of course) be synchronized for all other devices. At least from my point of view it doesn't make any sense to assign the same description to the identical MAC address more then once - e.g.  for a nebula AP one time in the device name of that AP, one time in the client list of a switch the AP is connected to and once in the client list of a gateway on the respective site. 

• CrazyTacos
    CrazyTacos Posts: 53  Ally Member
    @flottmedia
    Looks like I got this post mixed-up with another one  :o
    https://businessforum.zyxel.com/discussion/2263/ap-name-changes-when-moved-between-sites

But to answer your question, for customers interested in the Nebula solution, we provide (or lease) them our devices as well as Nebula sites so they can properly interact with the platform by adding them as specific site administrators. It is necessary to use the same organization due to some features require licenses.

As long as the device description in the inventory does not carry over to device description in site, then this is a good idea. 
  • flottmedia
    OK, I understand, @CrazyTacos .
    As long as the device description in the inventory does not carry over to device description in site, then this is a good idea. 
    As far as I can see, currently there isn't any description in the inventory at all. The introduction of that description rather was the original idea of this thread. But anyhow, if that description will be added, I would definitely argue, that also a device description in inventory should be synced with all other device descriptions / client descriptions within the same organization based on the MAC address. As I said above, it simply doesn't make sense to input the same description for the identical MAC address more than once. Furthermore it would also not make sense to input a different device description for the same MAC address - as far as I can see also not for your use case.  ;)
  • flottmedia
    @Nebula_Freda: could it be that there is currently a bug in the naming process of NSG clients. If you rename a client that got its IP from the NSGs DHCP and this IP was formerly given to another (meanwhile offline) client, renaming the new client also renames the old client although it has / had a different MAC address (=identity). Is that true?

Nebula Tips & Tricks