[NEBULA] Setup NWA1123-ACv2 to repeater mode

Jacobb
Jacobb Posts: 10
Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Nebula
Hi

I have a existing network with three NWA1123-AC HD on three different building floors. No I have a NWA1123-ACv2 device which should do following:

1. Extend existing WLAN as a repeater
  2. NWA1123-ACv2 must be managed in the NCC
Setup for NWA1123-ACv2:
only repeater mode without LAN cable connection only power.

Question:
How could I setup the repeater mode for NWA1123-ACv2 in NCC? I see the NWA1123-ACv2 in the organization in the NCC, but I do not have any clue where to set it in repeater mode in NCC...

Many thx

All Replies

• Zyxel_Barney
    Zyxel_Barney Posts: 84  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hello @Jacobb

Welcome to the Nebula forum!

The name of the feature you're looking for is called Smart Mesh.
    You can enable this under SITE-WIDE > General setting.

Enabling Smart Mesh will allow all your APs to automatically construct the most efficient wireless topology.

Just make sure your APs are using the latest firmware and at least one AP is connected to the wired network.

Regards,
    Barney Gregorio
  • RUnglaube
    RUnglaube Posts: 135  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Watch out that the repeater AP is within the coverage of the root one, but I guess you already know that :)

Love the simplicity of Smart mesh!
    "You will never walk along"
  • Jacobb
    Thanks for the info @Nebula_Barney with the Smart Mesh, I will check that out.

"Enabling Smart Mesh will allow all your APs to automatically construct the most efficient wireless topology.":

Could you elaborate little bit more what you mean with that?

• Zyxel_Barney
    Hi @Jacobb

There is no need to set which APs are roots (connected to wired network) or repeaters. No additional configurations are necessary on NCC.

However, I just noticed that you are using the NWA1123-AC HD models. These APs currently does not support Smart Mesh!

Expected release of Smart Mesh for the NWA1123-AC HD will be around the second half of 2019.

Regards,
    Barney Gregorio
  • Jacobb

No I am confused. Is it now possible to setup the system as I want with NWA1123-AC HD and NWA1123-ACv2 as repeater or not? If not what would be the better solution for extend the range of the Wi-Fi  with NWA1123-AC HD + additional device instead of NWA1123-ACv2 ?

Many thanks

• Zyxel_Barney
    Hello @Jacobb

It is currently not possible to set the NWA1123AC-HD as a repeater nor an access point for other repeaters.

If you wish to rely on Smart Mesh to extend the WiFi coverage, you may need to replace one of the NWA1123-AC HD with another Nebula AP that supports Smart Mesh.

The following devices that currently support Smart Mesh are:
        • NAP102, NAP203, NAP303, NAP353
        • NWA1123-ACv2, NWA1123-AC PRO

Otherwise, you will need to increase your NWA1123AC-HD's output power for greater coverage. Or  connect the NWA1123-ACv2 through the NWA1123AC-HD's LAN port with an Ethernet cable.

Regards,
    Barney Gregorio
  • Jacobb
    Ok, thank you very much for clarification @Nebula_Barney.
  • Jacobb
    One last question to you @Nebula_Barney:

Is it possible to have following devices in the Nebula Cloud...
    • 2x NWA1123AC-HD
    • 2x NWA1123-ACv2
    ... and to set NWA1123-ACv2 in MESH mode and NWA1123AC-HD in NORMAL mode because they do not support Mesh yet?

If yes it is possible, this will be the steps: SITE-WIDE > General setting > Mesh

Many Thanks

• Jacobb
    @Nebula_Barney

May I kindly ask you for a feedback to the post above? In the meanwhile I've installed the setup above and have seen, that the second -AC v2 which is only a repeater and not connected to Ethernet, does not have any connection to the WiFi. I see it in Nebula by the way.

It has as well another colored symbol (green border and filled with black instead of "more or less" everything green) in Nebula Cloud.

Many thanks
  • Zyxel_Barney
    Hi @Jacobb,

I apologize for the late reply.

Having both NWA1123-AC HD and ACv2 on the same site shouldn't be a problem. But Smart Mesh will only occur between the ACv2.

Do you mean the one ACv2 running as repeater is showing inverted color icon?

If that is the case, you have an ACv2 that has successfully shifted to repeater mode. The fact that the AP is an inverted icon instead of greyed-out means that the AP is online and can reach NCC. Something else must be prohibiting client traffic.

1. I would like to request a screenshot of your AP list.
    Please only include the following columns:
        - Status
        - Uplink AP
        - Uplink Signal
        - Uplink
        - Hop

2. Is your client SSID using Guest Network and/or dedicated VLAN?

Regards,
    Barney

Nebula Tips & Tricks