USG40 drops internet or reboots unexpectedly

Options
Deefees
Deefees Posts: 15  Freshman Member
Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
Hi,

We have an USG40 on location and it randomly drops the internet for a 15 to 20 min (or reboots). I'm not sure as I'm not at the location myself and they do manually reboot sometimes when this happens.

Usually everything is on subnet .1 and suddenly everything is on subnet .2. Strange things happening.

I do have a diagnostics file from this device. It can be viewed here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wvz8zqcroh87u9l/AAD3OjfOWO2g4Xg-Jka8fFiza?dl=0

Thanks!

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,302  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Which is your connection diagram for ports?
    Is the firewall provided with latest firmware?
  • Deefees
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Latest firmware: yes
    I have added images and config exports to my Dropbox link as i'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Edit: I assume they moved the utp from P2 to P3 by mistake when they wanted to reboot, so that might explain the wrong subnet. I have moved it back now to P2, but the problem of random internet drops would still persist. 

Thanks! 

• Zyxel_Can
    Zyxel_Can Posts: 342  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi @Deefees,

Can you please share some information with us;

1-    When did drop packet issue started?

2-    Do you remember what you changed last time before drop packet issue start?

3-    Can you capture packets for LAN and WAN interfaces and send to me by private message? (Maintenance > Diagnostics > Packet Capture > Capture menu)

Best regards.
  • Deefees
    Options
    Hi,

1; Not sure, is has been going on for a while, even more than a year. On and off.
    2; Same, not sure. Updating firmware was the only thing we did in the last years of running the USG40. Settings were not changed.
    3; I added packet captures to the previous pasted link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wvz8zqcroh87u9l/AAD3OjfOWO2g4Xg-Jka8fFiza?dl=0 

To clarify: the subnet issue was just the UTP being in the wrong port. This has been resolved.
    The internet dropping issue still exists. 
    There is also a Zyxel GS1920-24 switch at the location, I do assume that it's not this device that would be giving an issue?

Thanks!
  • Zyxel_Can
    Options
    Hi @Deefees,

Can you download 4.62 WK08 from following link and install for your USG40;
    https://fwstore-zsdn-cloud-zyxel-com.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/Forum/USG/V4.62_WK08/462AALA0ITS-WK08-r98489.zip

Also, can you enable Fast Forwarding under Configuration > System > Advanced > Fast Forwarding menu?

• Deefees
    Options
    I tried your suggestion but we still had the same issue after a while.
    In the meantime we bought a new USG Flex 100 to replace the USG 40 as it was going EOL, hoping that would help while we were at it.
    The flex is installed since Saturday, yet unfortunately, it gave the same issue today.

Do you have any suggestions? 
    Are there any good ways to monitor where the issue originates? I checked the 'secureporter' from around the time it happened, but that did not help much. One Sonos device was assigned an IP (it previous had aswel, but it showed up in the logs)

Next tot that, we now have a TPlink Access point in the network, that i set to static ip for example 192.168.1.7, but the dhcp keeps offering 192.168.1.36. It appears a lot in the logs, like every few seconds, is this bad? When I assigned static IP in the firewall interface, it behaved weird as well, what would be best practice? 

Thanks
  • Zyxel_Can
    Options

Hi @Deefees,

Can you share some information with us;

1-    What’s your USG FLEX 100’s current version?

Can you upgrade your firmware to latest version?

2-    Do the packets drop with wired connection or wireless connection via AP(TP-Link AP)?

3-    Can you please collect debug log until reboot occurs as in the following video and send me by private message?

(https://www.dropbox.com/s/ioxuliuh41tc5h6/collect_console.wmv?dl=0)

4-    Did you make IP-MAC binding for your Access point on your USG FLEX 100?

(Configuration > Network > IP/MAC Binding)
  • Deefees
    Options
    1 - V5.00(ABUH.2) - should be latest
    2 - Sonos speakers are all wired and they are the first ones to drop (well they notice those the first because they continuously play radio). So yes, everything drops with wired connections.

Currently, I have no log yet, also the AP issue is currently resolved.

Also the main issue did not play up the last 10 days or so. We have disabled the WIFI on the Sonos speakers, is it possible that this caused issues? I found this as a suggestion online and since we disabled it, it seems stable. The idea is that the sonos speakers are all wired, but once in a while they output wifi network or seek for devices and this would cause a kind of loop which results in the network going crazy. Does this seem like something that would be possible? Next to that, is this something the firewall could report for example? 

If the issues start again I will generate a logfile. 

Thanks! 
  • Zyxel_Can
    Options

Hi @Deefees,

Thank you for your feedback.

If that issue still exist:

1-    Can you provide me your config file by private message.

2-    Can you capture packets under Maintenance > Diagnostics > Packet Capture menu and send me by private message?

3-    Can you provide me terminal log as I mentioned in the previous post?

What do you mean by “main issue did not play up the last 10 days” ? What’s the “main issue”?

If the issue is packet dropping, then we can identify by capturing packets.

If the issue is rebooting, then we can identify by capturing console logs.
  • Deefees
    Options
    The main issue was packet dropping, not rebooting.

So the devices in network lost connection for 15/20 min on random times (sometimes 1 time a day, sometimes more often, sometimes not at all). And this is the issue that did not occur for the whole week last week, thus I hope it is solved and was caused by the sonos devices like I described. Does this sound like a possibility? 

Thanks 

Security Highlight