Update from 4.25 to 4.30, changes configuration?

grokit
grokit Posts: 18  Freshman Member
Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
After upgrading a USG310 from 4.25 to 4.30 I realized that there were unexpected chenges in the configuration. Is this normal?
I checked this 2 times with the same results:

• One of the 5 VLAN's was missing
  • ge6 was reset to default (10.59.1.1, WLAN) 
  • The WAN zone was reset to default (ge1, ge1_ppp, ge2, ge2_ppp)
  • Some address objects were missing
  • UDP session timeout was set (ev. a default setting of 4.30 ?)
  • UDP session limit was deactivated
  • some routing policies were changed
  • some firewall policies were changed
  • mailserver was reset
  • some config files were missing Any idea?
Dan

Comments

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    @grokit
    To analyze this case,
    I would like to check your configuration(on firmware 4.25), so please private message it to me.
    Moreover, could you mark on screenshot(pictures) which profiles or configuration are missing after upgrade to 4.30.
    Charlie
  • grokit
    Hello @Zyxel_Charlie, you've got mail.

• Zyxel_Charlie
    @grokit
    As I checked it with your configuration locally, and the issue did not occur....
    My test method is that the firmware version:425AAPJ1C0 on partition 1 and upload your configuration. After that update the firmware: 430AAPJ0C0 on the same partition. The configuration does not change. Since each firmware partition (running and standby)has their own configuration files, I would like to know do you update the 4.30 on the same partition?

Charlie
  • grokit
    @Zyxel_Charlie
    Ah, the keyword was "partition". I was not aware that the two partitions have in addition to the firmware, also their own set of configuration files. That explains a lot. Good to know. Thanks for pointing this out.

I therefore concur that the issues I have seen with the different configurations between the FW versions origin from the same fact. It looks to me that while rebooting with the other partition, the current startup.conf file is not taken into account, but the startup.conf file of the other partition is taken.. 
    Say I am running partition 1 and reboot with partition 2, the startup file is taken from partition 2. 

Is this documented somewhere and I missed it? 

Partitions are a great advantage and it relieved me a great deal that I could boot back with the previous version when an upgrade would not work. Indeed a wonderful function.

But if I upgrade i.e. from 4.25 with it's startup.conf in partition 1, to 4.30 with it's own startup.conf in partition 2.. and at the same time I am being asked what should happen when the loading of the startup.conf file fails... I would expect that I should be able to define which of the two startup.conf files should be my final one. 

Is the boot behaviour with a more detailed description on what .conf files are used how and when somewhere described in a white paper or any type of document? I would be quite interested.

Thanks
    Daniel

• Zyxel_Charlie
    @grokit
    The behavior of upgrade firmware on different partition is that after upgraded(4.25->4.30), the original configuration(4.25) will be autobackup to 4.30's configuration files.

Therefore, you can apply the autobackup.conf to achieve your configuration back. We will note the description on document in the future.
    Charlie

Security Highlight