Hp Printers keep going 'Offline'

Options
Brian1
Brian1 Posts: 2
Friend Collector
edited August 2021 in Security
I am using a USG60W firewall router and HP printers here. I have reserved an ip for the printer on the router and I can install the hp drivers and connect to the printer initially just fine. After about a week or so the printer appears 'Offline' and cannot print to it. I am not connected to the guest network, the printer is not either. The last few times this happened, I was able to remove the printer via the control panel and re-add it. Now when I go to re-add the printer it says it cannot find it on the network. 

I am able to ping the printer, the printer also shows it is connected to the network. 

Any suggestions ? Is this something to do with the firewall/ a setting within it? I have these printers at a different client location and never had this issue, the only difference is the Zxyel firewall router. 

Comments

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,300  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Would you please report...
    LAN1 subnet
    Printer subnet
    Client subnet
    Firewall rules among the subnets/segments...
  • gb5102
    gb5102 Posts: 25  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I doubt it is a firewall issue if your PC is on the same subnet as the printer.

Assuming you are using Windows, my guess is the printer is being auto-added using a WSD printer port which in my experience is notoriously unreliable. Can you try to remove and re-add it again by IP address?

In Settings('modern' control panel), click 'Devices' then click 'Printers and Scanners'. On the Printers and Scanners page, click 'The printer I want is not listed'. In the 'Add Printer' window that appears, choose TCP/IP device, then type the IP of the printer and click Next thru the wizard.Installing it this way will force it to print to the printers IP instead of the WSD port.

• Brian1
    Brian1 Posts: 2
    Friend Collector
    Options
    @gb5102 That is the method I used to re add it after the initial install. That was working temporarily but would still end up getting the 'printer offline' issue after a week or so. Now when I go to re-add by the IP address, I get the popup that it cannot find my printer on the network. Again, I can still ping the printer and I can pull up the printer web page and see the status as 'connected' 

@mMontana
    Client computers and printers on the lan1 subnet, I can double check/see that through the wizard. 

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,300  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Is your TCP/IP Port on Windows SNMP enabled?
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @Brian1
    If the PC and Printer are in the same subnet, the traffic seems will not be managed by Firewall.
    To investigate further, during the issue occur, can you private message the packet which collected on the firewall's Lan?

Security Highlight