USG-50 Limiting our bandwidth, why?

13»

Comments

• Jaspal
    Jaspal Posts: 8
    First Comment
    Hi, 
    I am facing Bandwidth  issue but things are different. The pc achieves speed 120-26 Mbps with Zyxel USG40, if BWM option is disabled. If i click on BWM Settings, Speed gets reduced at around 80-85 Mbps.
    There are not much options under BWM menu. There is not much information available on Zyxel products configurations may be due to newly launched. Anyways. How BWM settings work?

I would like to take fully advantage of USG40 firewall. Scenario is there are 37 PCs, 10-12 Cameras and approx 40 wifi clients  (mobiles and so on...).  All clients are not available every time so only few clients UP always. I want to distribute bandwidth among clients, if one pc starts consume bandwidth (like downloading stuff which requires heavy bandwidth), all other clients start complaining for slow internet speed. Right now nothing much is configured except content filter, antivirus, anti spam.

I would  really appreciate if someone helps me out for better designing network and understanding USG40 device more efficiently.
  • Zyxel_Can
    Zyxel_Can Posts: 342  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited March 2021

Hi @Jaspal,

If you want to create BWM rule for distributing among the clients, please create a BWM rule as following;

BWM Type: In your case you have to choose this option to separate your bandwidth among the clients by their Source IP addresses.

Source: This options defines the Subnet for the IP addresses. If you want to create BWM rule for LAN1, please choose LAN1

Bandwidth Shaping:

Inbound means the incoming traffic(Download). You can adjust maximum bandwidth the clients want to use

Outbound means the outgoing traffic(Upload). You can adjust maximum bandwidth the clients want to use.

Best regards.

• Jaspal
    First Comment
    Hello Zyxel_Can

Thanks for reply, I implemented this and speed decresed to 50 mbps with above mentioned settings.
    i was wondering if i create two vlans one for wired Lan and other for Wireless Clients can i fixed bandwidth  for 2 Vlans. Let us suppose 40 mbps to Wired LAN and 20 mbps to Wireless Clients. Can i achieve this?. 

Regards,

• Jaspal
    First Comment

This option works for sometime, but when i run speedtest.net, again it shows full bandwidth approx 116. This option was being bypassed i think. 
    I didn't change any settings after implementing this configuration. Any idea???? 

• Zyxel_Can
    Zyxel_Can Posts: 342  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer First Comment

Hi @Jaspal,

1-     For VLAN BWM, please configure as following; 

2-     For your second question, please specify Maximum kbps under Guaranteed Bandwidth menu as following;

Best regards.

• oliiix
    oliiix Posts: 1
    First Comment
    same problem for me on a usg60! I went through ALL settings just now. We have a 1000mbit/s connection but only get around 450 (absolute max) before i disabled session limit and some other settings it was half of that!!!
    I even disabled all the ports, services, policies, etc that are not in use. I have none of these active: BWM, Anti-Virus, IDP, or Content filter are all off. The port is auto negotiating at 1000, and wan1 and lan1 are the only active ports. Changing egress (1048576) bandwidth to 0 doesn't change anything and my MTU is at 1500, changes don't have an influence here as well.
    Then I disabled session limit (disable by checkbox or disable by entering value 0) and my udp session timeout is at 120.
    I tested this with the tool from https://speedtest.cnlab.ch/en/ they have a software tool for windows (not using the website, yet i cannot find the download of the tool right now) which is pretty accurate at least for ppl from switzerland, one of our isps uses it. maybe you need an account for this and i got the link from my ISP, it does upload the testing data to a website where the ISP can have access to, well possible.

Security Highlight