WAC6103D-I band steering options

Options
FrankLauer
FrankLauer Posts: 49  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
I was looking for the band steering (aka smart client steering) settings on WAC6103D-I in the web interface. But couldn't find that. However this AP is advertised to have band steering.

Where can I set this?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Joslyn
    Zyxel_Joslyn Posts: 360  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Options
    Hi @FrankLauer

There is no band steering if the AP is on-premises mode. We have 802.11k/v to assist station choose the correct AP while roaming.

If you want to use client steeing, we also suggest you to activate the RSSI threshold. Go to Configuration > Object > AP Profile, and edit the radio profile. Click "Show Advanced Settings", and you will see the RSSI setting. This function will help to ensure all the stations can connect to the AP which has better signal.

Band select is supported on the NCC and Controller. We recommend to use NCC to manage the APs once you want to try the band select function.

Joslyn
  • FrankLauer
    FrankLauer Posts: 49  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Thank you for answer. The 802.11k/v feature I had already enabled but the RSSI threshold is new for me. I need some experience to handle this option, but it's interesting.

Do you plan to make band steering available in the web interface in a future firmware? Or can it be enable in the CLI or config file? Because my clients often don't like the idea that security devices are connected to an external cloud like Nebula.