how to put parental control on usg20w with "user object"?

Options
higan
higan Posts: 3  Freshman Member
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
I bought a usg20w. The reason behind it is I want to limit my kids' internet access. Basically I want to 
1. limit bandwidth due to p2p downloading that drags whole house's internet speed.
2. time limitation.
3. Block certain sites if needed.

I look up the manual, there is a user object that I can use. However, the manual said it's "user aware". It seems my kid needs to log on each time they need to access internet. That's too troublesome.
  Each user object has its password. I am confused that user object's password with the password set when setting up built-in AP initially. If I configure my kid's wifi password to the "user object's" password, does it mean my kid's session will automatically be associated to the "user object" and policy will be applied?
 Or I can just associate device's mac address to use object such policy can be applied?
I do not subscribe UTM. If "user object" approach can't be used, any suggestion that I can easily apply on?

Comments

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,450  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hi @higan,
    You can create a IP-MAC static binding for kids device, and security policy rule with BWM and Schedule object applying.
    Source = Kid’s Device IP address
    Schedule = Allow time frame for kids
    Content filter = Apply a content filter with forbidden web sites.

• higan
    First Comment
    Options
    Zyxel_Cooldia, thanks for your prompt answer. Using IP-MAC binding was my original thought and the last resort. However, the reason I want to use user object is that I want to use user object to associate kid's each device, then using "user group" object to associate all the devices under this kid. Such I can use one policy on user group object to control all the devices that kid has.
    My button line is to register all the kids' devices in one-time configuration. After the initial configuration, kids just turn on their devices without re-keying password to register router(AP). Is there a way doing that using user object? 
  • Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,450  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hi @higan,
    How about using the address group for kid’s device, there is no need to base on user aware for authentication(PSK for wireless).
    e.g
    Assume your kid have laptop, smart phone, and tablet, we can add 3 IP-MAC binding on USG for these device, then grouping it to one address group.
    Applying this address group in one security rule, it would be better than user group.
  • higan
    First Comment
    Options
    Zyxel_Cooldia, Thanks again for your prompt response. That's exactly what I want. Though most of your customers are business customers. There are some prosumers will buy your entry level business products due to their "smart" kids. Maybe next time you can add your suggestion as an example in your usg-20w handbook, :-).

Security Highlight