USG FLEX 50 (USG20-VPN), FLEX 500 DEVICE INSIGHT

Options
Hello, I would like to know how device insight work or if there is a white paper about it because some device on my network aren't recongnized or I cannot see the hostname etc.. thank you.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Zyxel_Kevin Posts: 769  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hi @MassimoRiva,

First, refer to ZLD 5.20 User Guide page 174 and 178.

https://download.zyxel.com/USG_FLEX_500/user_guide/USG FLEX 500_V5.20_Ed1.pdf

Device insight detect clients under the same IP subnet of its interfaces. The identification might not correct if the clients cross another router or layer 3 device.

It’ll monitor network traffic from clients to collect different information.  

At this moment, the hostname information is comes from DHCP request of clients. So that cannot get for clients with static IP or DHCP clients not carry hostname in request.

And you can manual add description for the clients without hostname identified.

We’ll keep improve in roadmap to inspect more data payload to overcome current limitation for static IP clients.

Kevin
  • MassimoRiva
    Options
    Hi Kevin thank you for your reply. I understand how it works. I hope to see an improvement in the next firmware release because it's useful to use it to track the clients traffic in the secureporter portal.
  • Zyxel_Kevin
    Zyxel_Kevin Posts: 769  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hi @MassimoRiva,
    Thanks for your advice, We will keep improve in roadmap .
    Kevin

Security Highlight