Zywall USG 100 firmware update problem

I have a ZyWALL USG 100, with current firmware at 2.20(AQQ.1) and boot module V1.12.  I've tried to update the firmware using the *.bin files in all the currently posted versions in the library:

ZYWALL USG 100_3.30(AQQ.5)C0.zip
ZYWALL USG 100_3.30(AQQ.6)C0.zip
ZYWALL USG 100_3.30(AQQ.7)C0.zip

But, when uploading get an error on all of them:
errno: -42008, errmsg: Firmware not compatible!

The release notes for these versions list BootModule Version: V1.13, but I have V1.12. Is this the problem? If so, is there some way to upgrade the firmware?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

• davidsi
    davidsi Posts: 4
    Answer ✓
    I got around the problem after experimenting with the console CLI interface. After trying a few things including "usb-storage activate" that perhaps affected the _usbstorage key, the "[key undefined] Get language files" popups did not re-occur after restarting with the GUI interface. Then I was able to successfully upload the latest 330AQQ7ITS-WK48-r74988 firmware version from the link PeterUK provided. Thanks for that.

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    older firmware to upgrade found here
    Firmware USG 100 — Zyxel Community
  • Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,039  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Welcome to Zyxel community. May I know which file type you updated on the ZyWall USG 100? Did you use the .zip file? If so, please unzip the .zip file and update the firmware by .bin file then it shall be updated successfully on your USG100. Thanks.
  • davidsi
    Thanks for the replies. I tried to upgrade to 2.20(AQQ.6)C0 (from 2.20(AQQ.1)) with 220AQQ6C0.bin and got the firmware not compatible error again. When trying the earlier 2.20(AQQ.3)C0 (220AQQ3C0.bin), I didn't get that error, but now cannot get to the dashboard. After logging in and selecting dashboard, two popups occur and after clicking ok, it then hangs on loading, as shown in the attached screenshots and listed below. But now the unit is unusable unless I can get around this somehow. Resetting removes the password but the popups remain, which seems to indicate that the firmware upgrade at least partially worked. Is there some way to load "language files" or upgrade/revert via the console port?  Thanks.

popup1: [key undefined] Get language files.  Key:'_usbstorage' Working:'_USB_Storage'
    popup2: [key undefined] Get language files.  Key:'_usbstorage' Working:'_USB_Storage_Usage'

• davidsi
    Answer ✓
    I got around the problem after experimenting with the console CLI interface. After trying a few things including "usb-storage activate" that perhaps affected the _usbstorage key, the "[key undefined] Get language files" popups did not re-occur after restarting with the GUI interface. Then I was able to successfully upload the latest 330AQQ7ITS-WK48-r74988 firmware version from the link PeterUK provided. Thanks for that.
  • davidsi
  • You can get around the problem also open the web interface with Internet Explorer (old but gold ;-D) that works also after the 1st upgrade (220AQQ3..)

Security Highlight