SFP+ 10GBase-T Compatibility and XS1930-10 Questions

I am new to SFP+.

I want to add an SFP+ 10GBase-T (RJ-45/Copper) to my XS1930-10 to use at 10Gbps.

I tried a 10Gtek and while initially it seemed it was working fine I experience multiple problems.

Can you pls share any 10GBase-T that works fine with the XS1930-10?

Also, in the port status section, what am I supposed to see? The link status between the switch and the SFP_ transceiver? or the status of the link between the XS1930 and the other endpoint?

The reason I asking is that the port status always showed 10G/F  Forwarding even when the cable was not connected to the SFP+.  Connecting and disconnecting the patch cable did not make any change. Also the blue light was always solid.

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,591  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Av3ng3r,

I have used our RJ-45 SFP module to replicate this issue and there's no problem after rebooting the switch.
    So I think this is more likely not XS1930's issue. It might be a compatibility issue between your SFP module and XS1930-10.

Zyxel Melen

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    What 10Gtek tells you for the compatibility of SFP+ module (model non provided) with the specific Zyxel switch?
  • Zyxel_Melen
    edited October 2022
    Hi @Av3ng3r,

We have listed our Zyxel transceivers on our XS1930 datasheet which we guarantee will work.

For other SFP modules, we do not guarantee it works properly on our switch.

The port status 
    section shows the status between the XS1930 and the other endpoint.
    When the cable is not connecting to the SFP+, it will show "link down" on port status.
    The problem you faced might be due to the compatibility issue.

Zyxel Melen

• @Zyxel_Melen

Thank you for the list. however, I am looking for 10G-BaseT copper. I wished  Zyxel had one of those for 80m.

• @Zyxel_Melen @mMontana

What about the behavior when inserting the SFP+ in the xs1930-10 and no cable connected to it?

Should it should the LED on? in the software should it say 10/G forwarding even there is no cable connected?

• Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @Av3ng3r,

It is a possible behavior due to your SFP module.
    The SFP module you used is an RJ-45 SFP module which has a PHY IC. It will directly link with our switch when it connects to our switch,  and cause the switch shows 10G/F forwarding.

In addition, the fiber SFP module does not have a PHY IC normally, so the switch will show "link down" when there's no connection.

For the 10G-BaseT copper requirement, I will let our team know. May I know how many SFP modules you need in your network?

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @Av3ng3r,

Good news, we are going to release a 10G RJ-45 SFP module next year. I will update here if there's any new information. =) 

Zyxel Melen

• @Zyxel_Melen
    Great news. Please keep me posted. I am looking for 4 x 10G RJ-45 80 meters version.
  • In the meantime, I found one that it seems compatible. So far it works fine. There is only one little caveat but I think it may be a bug in the XS1930-10.

I turned off the XS1930-10 off, inserted the SFP+, turned the switch back on and then everything looked fine but I could not connect to the management interface if my pc traffic was coming into the switch through the SFP+, anything else was reachable, only the management interface was not reachable through the SFP+.  I RDP'd into one of the servers connected to a regular port and from there I was able to access the management interface. I changed the SFP+ from auto to 10G and then back to auto and now I was able to reach the management interface through the SFP+ port.
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Av3ng3r,

I have used our RJ-45 SFP module to replicate this issue and there's no problem after rebooting the switch.
    So I think this is more likely not XS1930's issue. It might be a compatibility issue between your SFP module and XS1930-10.

Zyxel Melen

• TonH
    TonH Posts: 3
    Friend Collector First Comment
    edited November 2022
    Registered for the same question. For the past 2 months I was able to use a mikrotik s+rj10 sfp+10gbase and that seemed to work. Today I updated my 1930-28 and now I can't get it to work anymore (and the module got really really hot). Would love to see an official supported module from zyxel. Thanks.