Fan speed control on Zyxel switch?

I have a 48 port variant of the Zyxel managed switch. It's in my garage which is very cool in temperature, especially this time of year (very wintery October/November) around 50°F.

Currently, I have found no way to control the fan speed which seems to be full throttle all the time. I get the reason is to prevent overheating, but it genuinely does not need to be doing this. 

I have searched up and down online and anytime I use "fan" or "control" in a search, I get results for ceiling fan accessories.
Using my model of switch yields poor results and schematics either don't exist or are poorly documented. 

I'm looking for info on how to control the fan speed so it isn't screaming. I made a stop to the forums to see if any info could be shared on how this can be achieved short of opening the switch and either unplugging the fan entirely or replacing it with a more reasonable noctua fan of the correct size. 

If I have to go the replacement route, will the switch throw an error or have a fit bc the right fan isn't plugged in or it can't go the desired speed?

The fan could enjoy some longevity and power efficiency if slowed down. There's benefit outside of just being quieter. 

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 442
    Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Nebula Zyxel Certified Sales Associate 25 Answers
     Master Member
    edited November 22
    Hi @Waffles779,

Could you share your switch model and its current firmware version? So I can help to clarify your problem.
    If you can, please also collect the Tech support file from the below path and PM the file to me.
    Menu > Maintenance > tech support > All to collect, thanks.
    Melen
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 442
    Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Nebula Zyxel Certified Sales Associate 25 Answers
     Master Member
    Hi @Waffles779,

We understand fan noise is a common issue. If you want the fan can be more silent, our SMB products, like GS1920 and upper-level models, have fan-control feature.

Melen