GS-1100 16 only giving 100M speeds

Options
Jofre
Jofre Posts: 4
Friend Collector First Comment
Hello all,

Just wanted to get some understanding. I purchased this router and it advertised gigabit speeds allowed through the switch. The led lights (Green) indicate it is giving 1GbE speed but on any device plugged into it will only get 100Mbps. I've checked all the devices connected to it and they all have full duplex 1GbE enabled and selected.

Some things I've tried:
  • Different devices.
  • Resetting network settings on downstream devices.
  • Different cables that are cat5e or above(cat6/7).
  • Power cycling the switch.
  • Unplugging the cables from both ends; if not clear already.

So I should be getting 1GbE speeds through it but I'm not. If there's anything else I can try any guidance on that would be appreciated.

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,714  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited December 2022
    Options
    You got a switch GS-1100 16 not a router so what router do you have? as that might only have 100Mb ports
  • Jofre
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @PeterUK

My bad, I did refer to it as a router once, but the rest of the time it was a switch :# .

Router and modem should not be a problem. But here they are:

Modem C3000Z: This should allow for at least 450Mbps (wifi) and 1Gbps (wired).

Router is Netgear R6300 which should allow for 1Gbps (wired), but this is being replaced soon by TP-link Archer AX-11000 which should allow for 1Gbps and 2.5Gbps (wired) depending on what port it is in.

ISP connection is a fiber connection @ 500Mbps (Up/Down) - I know this isn't 1Gbps, which I did state, but the switch should be around the 500Mbps in ideal conditions if it allows up to 1 Gbps.

When connected directly to the modem or router when testing I can hit 500-520Mbps wired speeds consistently.

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,714  Guru Member
    Options
    Have you tried updating the NIC drivers? what NIC is it? 
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,634  Zyxel Employee
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hi @Jofre,

Welcome to the Zyxel Community!
    May I know your problem is the connection always linked up to 100 Mbps, right?
    Have you connected the GS1100-16 to Modem C3000Z or  Netgear R6300 and it links up to 100 Mbps? Or the symptom only occurred with end devices like laptops, PC, etc?

Zyxel Melen

• Jofre
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The NIC drivers should all be up to date as far as firmware/software is considered. I have a couple of Mac towers, TV boxes, etc. Seems they only provide specific drivers in Windows installers from Zyxel. I'd initially think NIC drivers, but since any devices connected to it is experiencing this issue I can't believe all the NIC drivers on all the devices is the issue here.

@Zyxel_Melen
    Yes, the problem is that any device connected via the GS 1100-16 switch is only getting 100Mbps. And the GS 1100-16 is connected to the router (I have tried other ports on the router and it's still no good there).

/- Devices connected to router get 500Mbps (Max allotted)
    Networkley layout: Modem > Router
                                                    \- Anything connected via switch get 100Mbps.

I have not tried switch to modem, I will try that and get back with you.

• Jofre
    Options
    I have made sure all the NIC drivers are up to date by making sure all device software/firmware is up to date.

I'd initially think the NIC drivers if it were perhaps 1 device acting up but it seems to be any device connected there gets that speed.

The NIC would be Apple specific card for a Mac 2011 tower, but I usually connect my towers directly to the router so that shouldn't be a problem there, or like a Apple TV 4K (3rd gen) TV box.

@Zyxel_Melen
    Yes, any device I try to connect via switch is always 100Mbps. If I connect those devices directly to modem/router I get the allotted speed from my ISP. I've tried all the other ports on the router and the outcome is the same 100Mbps.

/-> Directly connected devices.
    Network: Modem > Router
                                      \-> Switch > Connected devices.

I have not tried connecting the switch to the modem and trying that. I give that a go and get back with you.

• Zyxel_Melen
    Options
    Hi @Jofre,

Does this issue occur on all ports or on specific ports?

Zyxel Melen

• timsa
    timsa Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited June 2023
    Options

I have the same problem. Had you solved it?

• Zyxel_Melen
    Options
    Hi @timsa,

Which device did you connect with GS1100 and get the 100 Mbps Link speed?

Zyxel Melen