Stand alone Firewall controlled APs - How to upgrade AP firmware?

Rimfire
Rimfire Posts: 16  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited January 2023 in WirelessLAN
For example VPN50 having latest firmware V5.35(ABHL.0)

At "Configuration / Wireless / AP Management / Firmware" I can see the latest and available firmware to be the same: V6.50 Patch 1.
At "Configuration / Wireless / AP Management / AP Group" I have selected the proper AP group and the clicked Upgrade
At logs didn't see no obvious effect.

So how do I upgrade the AP firmware and where I can see which firmware actually sits in the APs?

Further more at "Configuration / Wireless / AP Management / Mgmt. AP list / Advances settings" I can see Version 6.10(AAZY.10). What is that telling me? 

All Replies

• Rimfire
    At "Configuration / Wireless / AP Management / Firmware" I can see this:

"
    Note:
    Controller will only renew AP firmware image. If you want to process AP firmware upgrade, please go to Mgmt. AP or AP group page to manually upgrade AP firmware."

I have tried this but wonder does this really work and how to verify the results. From Mgmt. AP List you can't upgrade AP. The yellow upgrade button doesn't work.
  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited January 2023
    I'm sorry... "Stand alone Firewall controlled APs" means
    "APs managed via firewall only"
    Am I right?
  • Rimfire
    mMontana said:
    I'm sorry... "Stand alone Firewall controlled APs" means
    "APs managed via firewall only"
    Am I right?
    Yes. I'm trying to say that the VPN50 is not in Nebula mode.

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Thanks for the explaination.  :)
    APs will be update to latest firmware when the controller (VPN50) will receive updated firmware for that specific model. The check and download of newer firmwares might be manual or automatic.

Personally on USG40 I'd used only in manual way.

With this sequence on USG40 i check for newer firmwares.
    This is the result I found, then I applied the latest versions.

Last but not least:
    Consider that some older APs might not have the "latest" versions, due to end of upgrades from Zyxel.

• Rimfire
    Thanks  mMontana!

"Last but not least:
    Consider that some older APs might not have the "latest" versions, due to end of upgrades from Zyxel."
    Great to point this out.

The screenshot provided doesn't fit to the latest Firewall firmware editions.  There is no Apply button anymore, it is now "Renew Firmware". The "Renew Firmware" button is stated to do this:
    "Controller will only renew AP firmware image. If you want to process AP firmware upgrade, please go to Mgmt. AP or AP group page to manually upgrade AP firmware." So need to go for example to AP Group to lounch the actual upgrade.

I do have NWA5123-AC there. And if the latest firmware for that is really V6.10(AAZY.10) I'm good to go.

So, I think you covered the whole question and the key point were the fact that my APs are bit old and therefore now new firmware available.