GS2200-48 firmware and password

Options
SandDragon
SandDragon Posts: 2
First Comment
edited February 2023 in Switch
I'm new to the community and would like to thank everyone for their time and effort. I'm just getting back into smart switches. I used to do Cisco years ago using Putty, but had heath issues in 2012 which wiped my memory. A little came back, but most I've had to relearn. So if I post a stupid question that everyone should know, please be patient and don't put me on blast. I'm thankful to be back this far. 
I bought a couple of used GS2200-48's and there's not much information I could find about them on the internet. I can connect in Putty and watch them boot. When it gets to the password (Should be admin 1234), it will not take 1234 as the password. I've reset it multiple times and can't get anywhere.
On one of my searches, I read about using XModem to load the firmware if the password didn't work. However, since both switches are doing the exact same thing, I have to wonder if these take a different password than the standard 1234. I have a shadow memory of using xModem, FTP Servers and the like, but I will have to basically start over.
If someone has experience with these, I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction? I don't expect anyone to hold my hand and guide me through. I don't mind working for it, but so far my efforts have been futile. Thank you.

Found it! Thanks!

Best Answers

• smb_corp_user
    smb_corp_user Posts: 161  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    According to the manual, the default username and password should indeed be "admin" and "1234", so something else may be wrong with your switches. While I cannot speak from personal experience, I can only ask if you have tried looking up other ways of dealing with your issue, or looking into documentation for related, but not exactly the same, models of switches. For example; would it be of any help whatsoever to read a document like this one? ("What to do if you forget the password of the switch?")
    https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!viewDetail.action?articleOid=016556&lang=EN
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,681  Zyxel Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Welcome to the Zyxel community!
    It's good to hear you found the solution!

Thanks for sharing the KB with everyone.
    That's how the user restores their switch to factory defaults if it is an old product that does not have a restore button.

Hi Zyxel community newcomers,

If you want to factory default your GS2200 series switch, you could also check this topic on the Zyxel community FAQ.
    If you need the ROM file, just feel free to post your request. 

Zyxel Melen

• smb_corp_user
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Likewise, I am sure. Thank you for your follow-up and description of your final solution, which might very well be useful to someone else in the future.
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @SandDragon,

GS2200 series switch support iStacking (Cluster management), but does not support hardware stacking.
    If you need hardware stacking function, you could consider XGS2220 series switch. It will support hardware stacking in the future firmware release.
    XGS2220 Series - Overview | Zyxel Networks

Zyxel Melen

All Replies

• smb_corp_user
    Answer ✓
    Options
    According to the manual, the default username and password should indeed be "admin" and "1234", so something else may be wrong with your switches. While I cannot speak from personal experience, I can only ask if you have tried looking up other ways of dealing with your issue, or looking into documentation for related, but not exactly the same, models of switches. For example; would it be of any help whatsoever to read a document like this one? ("What to do if you forget the password of the switch?")
    https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!viewDetail.action?articleOid=016556&lang=EN
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Answer ✓
    Options

Welcome to the Zyxel community!
    It's good to hear you found the solution!

Thanks for sharing the KB with everyone.
    That's how the user restores their switch to factory defaults if it is an old product that does not have a restore button.

Hi Zyxel community newcomers,

If you want to factory default your GS2200 series switch, you could also check this topic on the Zyxel community FAQ.
    If you need the ROM file, just feel free to post your request. 

Zyxel Melen

• SandDragon
    Options
    I had found the article above and used XModem to overwrite the ROM file to get the default password to work. I wasn’t able to find it in the download section and the FTP site that listed it no longer functions. 
    However I found a college site that had it for their students and was able to get it from there. I have two fully functional switches now. 
    I still have a lot to learn in stacking switches and setting up VLans. Im not sure yet this model supports stacking, but if not, I’ll buy some that will to set up a lab. 
    Thank you very much for your responses. 
  • smb_corp_user
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Likewise, I am sure. Thank you for your follow-up and description of your final solution, which might very well be useful to someone else in the future.
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @SandDragon,

GS2200 series switch support iStacking (Cluster management), but does not support hardware stacking.
    If you need hardware stacking function, you could consider XGS2220 series switch. It will support hardware stacking in the future firmware release.
    XGS2220 Series - Overview | Zyxel Networks

Zyxel Melen