Managed AP NWA5123-AC-HD on USG60 slow, but speed with WAC6103d-i is ok

Options

I have an USG60 with a managed NWA5123-AC-HD. The speed is very slow, but i dont know why. with iperf3 i get around 65 MBit/s

The transfer is from a LAN connected computer to WLAN computer who supports 867 MBit/s.

When I change the NWA5123-AC-HD Staton against a WAC6103d-i i get around 330 MBit/s with iperf3 which looks pretty normal to me.

Any ideas where the Problem with the NWA5123-AC-HD is?

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,304  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Source: https://www.zyxel.com/global/en/products/wireless/80211ac-wave2-dual-radio-unified-access-point-nwa5123-ac-hd/specification

Source: https://download.zyxel.com/WAC6103D-I/datasheet/WAC6103D-I_10.pdf

What personally I found different among these two is the specified number of spatial streams: NWA-5123-AC reports that, the newer AP don't.

Anyway: both APs seems lower than specifications. Worth mentioning thatn MCS9 means 256QAM Modulation and 5/6 code rate.

Consider that maybe these APs don't share the same configuration about channels, datarate, par-client ratelimit.
    So maybe… the perceived problem is simply a non optimized configuration for specific high-throughtput trasfer with a single device rather than distributed bandwidth among other clients.

Last but not least: you reported channel 100 only for NWA-5123-AC-HD. Does WAC6103d-i use same channel? 5GHz networks are more subject to issues and reflections than 2.4GHZ networks. They work a lot faster, but they are so picky…

• Tzunami
    Tzunami Posts: 11
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Options

The configuration was managed by the Zyxel USG. All settings were identical, also the channel while testing

I disconnect the NWA5123-AC-HD from the cable, than conect the WAC6103d-i. So cables are also the same.

Us I know the netto transferrate is around 40%, so 300 Mbit/s on a 867 Mbit/s is normal to me.

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,304  Guru Member
    Options

Simple question: did you audit your environment for already used 5Ghz channels? You picked 100 straight, i suppose there is a metric for that.

Moreover.
    I don't manage any NWA-5123-AC-HD system but i setup a bandwidth limit on clients (SSID profile)

and also as default for 5GHZ networks there's a fixed multicast rate (radio profile)

• Tzunami
    Options

Yes, for the test i used a channel where no other WiFis working.

Bandwidth limit was set to 0, set it to 160, no effect

Multicast set to 6 to get the best range

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 939  Zyxel Employee
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi @Tzunami ,

From your NWA5123-AC-HD client list, more than 1 client connect to the AP. The ideal condition during the test period is ONLY the test device connecting to the access point because other wireless clients connecting to the same AP will also share the resources and degrade the throughput. Please do the spped test with 1 client.

The configuration was managed by the Zyxel USG. All settings were identical, also the channel while testing

From your radio setting, Channel Selection was configured as DCS with 5GHz Channel Selection Method as Manual. Please check whether there are other channels in the pool led to WAC6103D-I used the different channel with NWA5123-AC-HD. Recommend you to use InSSider tool to scan and choose the best channel that is less used, and then set as the Channel Selection as Manual with the best channel.

Before testing, please use “netsh wlan show interface” in the cmd window to verify if the setup and connection status is correct and good enough for testing:

> Signal Strength: the highest value as possible

> Link rate (Tx/Rx rate): the highest rate for both transmit rate and receive rate

> Client Capability: 11ac

Please help to do the speed test serveral times and calculate the average value.

In case you follow the recommend above, however, the speed when client connect to NWA5123-AC-HD is still low, please go to WEB GUI and collect the diagnostic file after testing and provide us here or via private message by clicking to my account > Message

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• Tzunami
    Options

My Handy (the first in the List) who don't do anything will bring down the transferrate of my NWA-5123-AC-HD to 60 Mbit/s, but not when i change the AP to a WAC6103d-i? I dont think so.

netsh is not available on my OS, but here are the connetion infos.

I do the speed test around 100 times, also with different settings

I cant go to this diagnostic because the AP is managed. Looks like i can do the diagnostic in the USG. I will make it if I exchanged the NWA5123 against the WAC6103d.

• Tzunami
    Options

I have done the diagnostic, and now?

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @Tzunami ,

Please provide the diagnostic file here or via private message by clicking to my account > Message

We'll check and tell you if there is any update.

Thanks!

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @Tzunami ,

Thank you for providing the diagnostic file.

From the diagnostic file, we found that there are several clients connect to NWA5123AC-HD with both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs.

Could you help to test speed when there is one device connected to the access point, and that the link rate is at its maximum?

Moreover, it shows NWA5123-AC-HD’s channel section as DCS with 5GHz Channel Selection Method as manual with channel pool includes 100, 104, 108, 112, 48, 44 channel. It could be led to the different channels were used by NWA5123AC-HD and WAC6103D-I.

Could you change the Channel Section to Manual (as below image) with the best channel that be scanned?

Before testing throughput of NWA5123AC-HD and WAC6103D-I again, please make sure that:

• The same channel
    • The same channel width
    • The same location
    • Only one client connect to the AP (or the same number of clients connect to 2 APs at least)
    • When the client connect to APs, the link rate get the highest value.
    • Good signal

In case the testing environment and condition are good, but the speed is still low when the client connects to NWA5123AC-HD & the speed is normal when the client connects to WAC6103D-I, please help to collect and provide the diagnostic file of both NWA5123AC-HD and WAC6103D-I, we will check that.

• Tzunami
    Options

Yesterday i have tested the NWA5123-AC-HD as "stand alone" and get 600 Mbit/s out of the box. In the next days I will get a Zywall 110. Perhaps it has something to do with this: