Switch firmware release-note should mention browser requirement

Options
perh
perh Posts: 3
First Comment

Requirements for vlient OS and browser for management should be unecessary, but is obviously isn't. I just tried upgrade of a GS1200-5HP v2 switch which then got stuck in "upgrade-mode". Upload of firmware resultet in the error message "Firmware upgrade was failed". I tried 3 different firmware-versions available from the support-page, all failed. The port-LED indicate activity while the file is uploaded to the switch, but for some reason it fails. This repeated itself for Chrome/Linux, Firefox/Linux and Chrome/MacOS-Catalina. Then I tried Safari/MacOS which finally worked. I don't have any computer running windows so I can't say anything about which browser one has to use on that platform.

Bottom line is: Firmware upgrade should be fixed so that it works from any mainstream browser/OS combo. If that is impossible, then client requirements neeed to be documented both in the release-note, and in the product manual.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 566  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi @perh

We attempted to perform a firmware upgrade on the GS1200-5HPv2 switch from V2.00(ABKN.0)C0 to V2.00(ABKN.1)C0 using Chrome/Linux and Chrome/Windows, but we did not encounter the same problem as you did. Here are the versions we used: 

• Chrome/Linux version: 112.0.5615.121 (Official Build) (64-bit) / Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS 
    • Chrome/Windows version: 112.0.5615.86 (Official Build) (64-bit) / Windows 10 

To better understand your problem, could you please provide us with the following information: 

1. What is the version of your browser and the operating system (OS) you used for the firmware upgrade process? You mentioned that you tried Chrome/Linux, Firefox/Linux, Chrome/MacOS-Catalina and Safari/MacOS, but we need to know the specific versions to further investigate the problem. 
    2. What is the original firmware version of your GS1200-5HP v2 switch and the version you intended to upgrade to? 
    3. Were you performing the firmware upgrade process through a VPN connection or on-site? 

We would appreciate it if you could provide us with the requested information to replicate the problem in our lab. 

Kay 

Kay

• perh
    First Comment
    Options

My primary computer is running Ubuntustudio 20.04 (Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS) with all current upgrades. Kernel is 5.4.0-146-lowlatency. Chrome is current, at the time this happened it was 112.0.5615.49. My Mac is currently unavailable, but it is running Catalina with current upgrades of both OS and Chrome. I don't own any windows-computers.

• perh
    First Comment
    Options

I forgot:

2. The original and current versions of firmware were as desrcibed in the first post.

3. The upgrade was performed with the switch attached to my local LAN. I always upgrade firmware to current before any hardware is installed on site.

• Zyxel_Kay
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi @perh

Thank you for sharing the information with us. We have attempted to upgrade the firmware on other browsers as well based on the browser version you provided. Here are the updated results: 

1. MS Edge (113.0.1774.23) / Linux (Ubuntu 22.04)  
      >> Passed 
    2. Chrome (112.0.5615.165/112.0.5615.49) / Linux (Ubuntu 22.04) 
      >> Passed 
    3. Firefox (110.0 64-bit) / Linux (Ubuntu 22.04)  
      >> Failed. This is more likely because the firmware file transfer took over 30 seconds. 

We are currently investigating if there are any potential problems between the browser and the firmware upgrade process. We will keep you updated on any new information. 

Kay 

Kay

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @perh

We have identified a system limitation about a transmission timeout issue that is specific to a particular combination of browser and operating system, which cannot be resolved through firmware upgrades. We recommend using different browser if you encounter the issue. Thank you for sharing with us on this information and we will also notify users about this problem in the release note.

Kay