IGMP Snooping and XGS1930-28, XGS1930-28HP, XS1930-10

Options
malakudi
malakudi Posts: 39  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector

I have three Zyxel switches, all working in Nebula cloud mode.

XGS1930-28HP for my POE devices, XGS1930-28 for the rest devices and XS1930-10 for the high speed (above 1g) devices.

I want to enable IGMP snooping since I am using some multicast traffic in my network. The only option I see in Nebula is IGMP snooping enable. Nothing else. Where can I setup for example the querier, or static multicast group assignments etc? Those are basic IGMP settings most managed switches have.

I don't want to use "IGMP advanced settings" which require extra payment. i expect a managed switch to have simple IGMP snooping support.

Enabling IGMP snooping in Nebula does not work correctly, device from one switch to other switch cannot communicate properly. They only work if they are on same switch.

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Amy
    Zyxel_Amy Posts: 5  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is indeed IGMP is a basic function for switch and it is still offered by local management mode. IGMP are not simply offered by Nebula the same way it is presented in local web GUI. As it is one of our valuable licensed features, it further extends the concept of simplicity by offering easy ways to setup complex IPTV network to minimize network management efforts. We do hope our effort of re-thinking the network can also bring much benefits to these specialized network application.

As you are experiencing the trial-license, hopefully you would be enlightened by the IGMP summary report that have been thoroughly designed by combining many statistic that are in separated pages as was in local web GUI. Meanwhile, you still have the option to connect to local Switch’s SSH with “show igmp-snooping group all” command to see the detail multicast group information.

All Replies

• malakudi
    Options

The datasheet of XGS1930-28 for example shows support for:

• IGMP snooping (v1, v2, v3)*
    • Configurable IGMP snooping timer
    and priority
    • IGMP snooping statistics
    • IGMP throttling
    • IGMP filtering
    • Static multicast

I expect to use those features without extra payment, using Nebula cloud or not. Please fix this or provide info on how to configure through Nebula.

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,639  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @malakudi,

These devices support IGMP snooping on Nebula. And the IGMP snooping function is a Nebula Pro pack feature. It is because we provide a centralized platform for you to configure and monitor your switches in one place. You don't need to configure IGMP snooping configuration on your switches one on one.

In addition, you can try the Nebula Pro Pack Trial.

It allows you to set up the IGMP snooping function in 30 days. Kindly remind, after the trial ends, you will no longer change the IGMP snooping configuration till your organization is back to Pro Pack org.

Zyxel Melen

• malakudi
    Options

You advertise the mentioned features:

• IGMP snooping (v1, v2, v3)*
    • Configurable IGMP snooping timer
    and priority
    • IGMP snooping statistics
    • IGMP throttling
    • IGMP filtering
    • Static multicast

It was never advertised that those features need extra payment. So you are telling me the only way to use those features is to either pay extra per year or disable Nebula and configure switches as stand-alone.

This is very bad, all advertised features should work in Nebula without extra payment.

I can enable IGMP snooping in Nebula with the basic free subscription, but I cannot configure anywhere the options needed in order to work. I run a KNX router on the XGS1930-28 and as soon as I enable IGMP snooping through Nebula, I can no longer get the multicast groups on the XS1930-10.

KNX router does not produce much traffic so it works OK in non-snooping mode (broadcasted to all ports) but I don't like that. I paid more than 2000 euro for those 3 switches, I expect such functionality to work without paying more money per year. Please fix this.

• malakudi
    edited May 2023
    Options

I configured pimd multicast routing daemon on my linux router and now igmp snooping works as expected. This means that when in Nebula mode, the above Zyxel switches do not enable querier features (IGMPv3 60 Membership Query, general on 224.0.0.1) when IGMP snooping is enabled as shown in attached screenshot.

However, I would expect to be able to see multicast addresses joined per port in Nebula. This is a required statistic. I would also expect to be able to setup static multicast, igmp filtering and igmp throttling, as expressed in your advertisments - either using Nebula or not.

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,639  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @malakudi,

It's glad to hear that your scenario is working with IGMP snooping enabled.

Apologize that our datasheet didn't mention IGMP snooping requires the Nebula Pro Pack license. But thanks for bringing our attention to this.

However, you can still set the Advanced IGMP with the Nebula Pro Pack trial.

In addition, we have an official Nebula feature list that states which feature requires the Nebula Pro Pack license. Please reference the below link:
    https://www.zyxel.com/library/assets/products/nebula_control_center/nebula-licensing-table.pdf

Zyxel Melen

• malakudi
    Options

Apologizing doesn't help, you should enable mentioned IGMP features with Nebula basic free license. Otherwise it was a false advertisment of your product. I would probably not buy your switches or at least part of them if I knew those options were not available when using Nebula. Nebula was a deciding factor to buy Zyxel and not TP-Link or other brands.

You should bring the advertised features of IGMP in Nebula basic free license.

I don't care testing the Nebula Pro trial, since I am not willing to pay annual fees for running my switches. All IGMP features that are descibed in user manual, chapter 24, of XGS1930, should be available when running with Nebula. These include:
    - all IGMP snooping options as described in user manual, chapter 24, paragraph 24.3.1
    - IGMP snooping VLAN features as described in user manual, chapter 24, paragraph in 24.3.2
    - IGMP filtering as as described in user manual, chapter 24, paragraph 24.3.3
    - Multicast status per port, as described in user manual, chapter 24, paragraph 24.3

• malakudi
    Options

If I configure those options with Nebula Pro trial, when trial expires, settings will continue to be correctly configured? And will only need to get again Nebula Pro if a new change is required?

• Zyxel_Amy
    Options

Hi Malakudi,

Thank you for coming to us with your concern about our product. Let me take couple minutes to share our vision about Nebula. Nebula was design to bring innovated way of Networked management with simplicity and mobility in mind, something the traditional network Web GUI and CLI cannot offer. It is less intended to be just another management tool on top of the existing web GUI and CLI. Features that are supported on Nebula are redesign to inherit these belief to make sure it is able to offer an easy on-bording of cloud management.

However, network can get quite complicated in order to fit into different user scenarios. For Nebula to better address customers from different verticals, pro-pack license was designed to better service advanced users who have more professional networking knowledge to setup complex network for business or office environments.

Take IGMP for example, the NebulaFlex offers a simple button to enable IGMP snooping, assuming most typical environment has router / CPE that already supports Querier functionality. A simple button without complex features makes it easier for general users to alter setting that works with their existing environment. All the other meticulous parameters which you can find in the local web GUI but are less likely to be used by generic users, we have them in the premium settings, along with the Advanced IGMP groups which these elements are essentials for advanced networks.

With your help, we do understand refining our documentation to make sure it can better state our feature offering between Free/licensed features can certainly ease the migration path for new comers who joins our Nebula platform. Hence our support team offer the suggestion to use the feature as trial license to mitigate the gap you encounter. As the license expired, your setting will remain unchanged, but no longer to alter it afterward.

We do also hope that with the experience of trial license, you can enjoy the many features we offer under the pro-pack license and hopefully they will become handy for your networks.

Once again, your comments are truly valuable to us to give us the chance to help our customers.

Best Regards,
    Amy Tu
    Product Line Manager

• malakudi
    Options

I understand the concept, however I must disagree with your decision to hide all IGMP features behind a paying license. I understand you want to have a profit from Nebula, but those IGMP options are considered basic functionality for a managed switch. All managed switches have them. I think you should reconsider this policy and bring more IGMP options to the basic/free license. I understand having some options like Topology or emailing reports etc in Nebula Pro license for those who need them, but IGMP options is basic functionality.

It is good to know though that I can configure the options with trial license and they will not get lost afterwards. I will try that. However, you need to provide to basic/free license at least the capability to view which multicast groups are joined per switch port (if this is already shown somewhere please enlighten me) since this is a minimal logging feature about multicast traffic.

• Zyxel_Amy
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is indeed IGMP is a basic function for switch and it is still offered by local management mode. IGMP are not simply offered by Nebula the same way it is presented in local web GUI. As it is one of our valuable licensed features, it further extends the concept of simplicity by offering easy ways to setup complex IPTV network to minimize network management efforts. We do hope our effort of re-thinking the network can also bring much benefits to these specialized network application.

As you are experiencing the trial-license, hopefully you would be enlightened by the IGMP summary report that have been thoroughly designed by combining many statistic that are in separated pages as was in local web GUI. Meanwhile, you still have the option to connect to local Switch’s SSH with “show igmp-snooping group all” command to see the detail multicast group information.