My GS1008HP Zyxel Unmanaged PoE Switch is Overheating

Options
MarTat
MarTat Posts: 4
Friend Collector First Comment

Hey folks! Bought the GS1008HP PoE + Switch. It has 8 ports. I plugged into it my router, an NVR, and 6 PoE cameras from REOLINK. I have all of this in my attic (under the roof). As it started getting warmer here in May this thing either got busted or started overheatting. If i turn it off and turn on later it works but it stops working and keeps flashing …. I event took it apart and opened up the cover to allow for better air ventilation but it still overheats. I suspect the temps up in the attic are between 30 to 40C in the summer so this thing is probably at its max? Pretty dissapointed to be honest… My TP LINK Router is up there in the attic for 4 years now and not a signle thing wrong with it…

Any ideas what could be wrong OR alternatively a recommendation for a stronger switch that can operate in such conditions better?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 566  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @MarTat

Regarding your case, we simulated a similar scenario with a GS1008HP switch under high-temperature conditions (ex: 40°C) and full PoE load (60 W) for few days, and it performed normally.

Considering your requirement to power 6 PoE devices with a total budget of 72 W, I recommend considering our GS1350 Series switch. It offers a higher PoE budget and wider operating temp. range, 0-50°C, making it more suitable for your setup.

Kay

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @MarTat

To assist you further, I would appreciate it if you could provide some additional information:

1. Can you please let us know the specific model of your REOLINK PoE cameras? This information will help us determine if the total PoE budget of 60W provided by the GS1008HP is sufficient for your setup.
    2. It would be helpful to understand if the switch was working properly before May or if this issue has been ongoing. Additionally, could you please provide details on how often the switch stops working?
    3. If possible, could you share a photo or description of how you have deployed your switch in the attic? It is recommended to place your switch to a shady and well-ventilated area. Alternatively, improving the ventilation within the attic might also alleviate the issue.

Kay

• MarTat
    Options

Hey @Zyxel_Kay.

1. The 6 cameras that are plugged into it are the following model:
    RLC-410 https://reolink.com/product/rlc-510a/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmtGjBhDhARIsAEqfDEcuqLBo-FVc-Bq-CRo_SDdNfld6v9otON1sEHi6x2rBrdjqQunDmi0aAqpREALw_wcB#specifications

2. You know what I am not sure if it was working great I didnt really monitor the cameras (I installed them in early April… and every time i wanted to check they were acting a little funky (connecting for some time)). This past weekend I wanted to check something and noticed the cameras are not recording / connected. I checked everything and figured all is good but then I went up into the attic and found that the router was flashing some kind of funny lights. I turned it off. Let it cool and turned it back on when it was dark outside (cooler temps) and it worked until the next morning when the sun came up… BUt not sure how quickly it stopped working maybe it was quicker…

3. Here is a photo of the switch in the attic. Its basically hanging on a wooden beam and in between it are 2 screws to create a gap for air flow and a metal plate. Also inside the switch i driled 2 holes for better ventilation (i just did that today…figured warranty wouldnt cover it after i added the holes but i dont mind that… i just want to figure out whats wrong or what better switch to buy next).

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @MarTat

Based on your information, the switch may be heating up due to it being fully connected and delivering power to the PoE cameras. This can cause the switch to become hotter compared to your TP-link router. It's worth noting that TP-link routers are not designed to handle the same level of power load as PoE switches.

This past weekend I wanted to check something and noticed the cameras are not recording / connected.

Regarding this, it would be helpful to know whether this problem is affecting all the PoE cameras or if it is specific to certain cameras. Could you please provide more details on the switch's behavior?

• If the issue is limited to specific cameras, kindly let us know which ports are affected.
    • If all the PoE cameras are affected, please confirm whether the PoE power is working and if there is any network traffic passing through the switch.

Considering your usage scenario with high environmental temperature and multiple PoE cameras along with an NVR, it might be worth considering a switch specifically designed for surveillance systems, such as the GS1350 Series, specifically the GS1350-12HP model. This switch has a higher total PoE budget, allowing for more power to be distributed to the connected devices. In addition, the GS1350 Series offers specialized PoE software features like Auto Camera recovery, continuous PoE, and extend range mode. These features are specifically designed to optimize the performance and stability of surveillance systems.

Kay

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Additionally, it's important to note that the GS1008HP switch suitable operating temperature is range of 0-40°C. However, considering your usage scenario with higher environmental temperatures (as you mentioned the attic will be around 30-40°C), it may be beneficial to consider a switch from the GS1350 Series. This series offers a wider range of operating temperatures, specifically 0-50°C, which better aligns with your environmental conditions.

Kay

• MarTat
    Options

I went up there today in the morning turned it on. Didnt work at all. Left side flashes green and then right side flashes green (depending on how you have the switch you could say TOP vs. BOTTOM sides)…. i would still really like to know whether its broken or what happened to it. It didnt seem warm in the morning. You think it doesnt have enough juice to power 6 POEs ? Attaching some more photos for ref.

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,763  Guru Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Lets say one cameras need 15W each you have six so 90W so no your GS1008HP is not enough so the best thing to do is either get another GS1008HP or a bigger power budget switch

• MarTat
    Options

Thanks @PeterUK ! :)

• Zyxel_Kay
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @MarTat

Regarding your case, we simulated a similar scenario with a GS1008HP switch under high-temperature conditions (ex: 40°C) and full PoE load (60 W) for few days, and it performed normally.

Considering your requirement to power 6 PoE devices with a total budget of 72 W, I recommend considering our GS1350 Series switch. It offers a higher PoE budget and wider operating temp. range, 0-50°C, making it more suitable for your setup.

Kay