GS1900 series--password resets on firmware update? Also, config propagation?

Options
snovvman
snovvman Posts: 3
Friend Collector First Comment

I noticed that when I update the firmware on my several GS1900-series switches, after a reboot, the password is reset to 1234 and SNMP config is reset. I have no VLAN set up yet, so I don't know if the switch simply does a device reset and loses the config after the firmware update? Is this normal? If not, what did I do wrong?

Also, if I set up a VLAN on one switch, how does the config propagate to the other switches? Is there a way where I can manage all the switches from one device?

Thank you.

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,934  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @snovvman,

If your topology is similar to below, you can consider using the VLAN trunk function on the aggregate switches.

It allows the aggregate switch to pass through VLAN packets that belong to unknown VLAN groups. In other words, you don't need to create VLAN groups on the aggregate switch.

In addition, the known/created VLAN packets won't be passed though.

Please go to configuration > VLAN > VLAN > port to select the port you want to enable VLAN trunk and click the edit button.

Enable VLAN trunk and click apply.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Options

Hi @snovvman,

GS1900 requires the user manually save the configuration. Please remember to click the save button on the top right menu before rebooting.

For your second question, you can back up the configuration and restore it to other switches. Please go to maintenance > configuration to back up and restore the configuration.

Hope it helps.

• snovvman
    Options

Thank you for your response. It is helpful! Following up on the second question, I have a mixture of -8, -16, and -24 devices. Will there be an issue for me to restore a backup from, for example, a -24 to a -8 device and vice versa?

• Zyxel_Melen
    Options

Hi @snovvman,

It is recommended not to restore a backup from -24 to -8 or vice versa. Since the port number is mismatched, there will occur unexpected errors after restoration.

Please restore a backup to the same port number model.

• snovvman
    Options

So this means that I have to configure each -24, 16, -8 separately even though they will have the same VLAN configuration? Is there an easier way?

• Zyxel_Melen
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @snovvman,

If your topology is similar to below, you can consider using the VLAN trunk function on the aggregate switches.

It allows the aggregate switch to pass through VLAN packets that belong to unknown VLAN groups. In other words, you don't need to create VLAN groups on the aggregate switch.

In addition, the known/created VLAN packets won't be passed though.

Please go to configuration > VLAN > VLAN > port to select the port you want to enable VLAN trunk and click the edit button.

Enable VLAN trunk and click apply.