High system/user cpu usage

Options
TAPTech
TAPTech Posts: 165  Master Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Nebula Gratitude Friend Collector

I've noticed for the past 3 days that my ATP500 is showing 95% cpu usage in the Nebula dashboard. I've rebooted it twice, but there has been no change. One of the reboots was done through SSH command.

These are the results I get when running cpu usage query:

Does anyone have an idea of what processes might be running under "user" that would cause so much cpu usage?

All Replies

• TAPTech
    Options

Looking through the logs, I found a client had connected to our network which was exceeding the 2500 session limit. Oddly enough, increasing that session limit to 3500 allowed the traffic to flow and the CPU usage went back down to about 10%.

I find that behavior to be odd- wouldn't blocking the traffic use less cpu than allowing it..?

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Zyxel_Kevin Posts: 769  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @TAPTech ,

Greeting Forum,

Please kindly try to disable content filter to check if any improvement.

And please provide your Org/Site by Private message.

Kevin

• TAPTech
    edited January 30
    Options

Hi Kevin,

This issue has reappeared for me today and I have disabled the DNS/URL filter, and the CPU usage is greatly reduced. There is only about 25mbps of traffic flowing, and 8000 sessions when this happens. Do you have any clues as to what could cause such high CPU usage?

• Zoeypenelope
    Options

If a system is idle, the OS creates a process called the System Idle Process to prevent the system from shutting off. This process appears to show high CPU usage, but it actually indicates the percentage of CPU capacity not being used.If a system is idle, the OS creates a process called the System Idle Process to prevent sign language alphabet the system from shutting off. This process appears to show high CPU usage, but it actually indicates the percentage of CPU capacity not being used. CPUs perform logic, control, arithmetic, input and output operations specified by its programming to perform basic tasks. They're found in most electronic devices, including laptop computers, smartphones, some cameras, thermostats and any other type of device that requires input and output programming operations.

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Options

Hi @TAPTech ,

We already address the issue and will fix in next official version.

Thank you.

• TAPTech
    Options

Thanks Kevin, I am glad to hear that. If my CPU usage is stuck at 99%, should I disable the Content/DNS filtering until the fix is released?

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Options

Hi @TAPTech ,

Please kindly share your Nebula Org/Site by Private message and availalbe time.

I can push the patch firmware when your available time.

Thank you

• TheSecondComing
    Options

Hey Kevin,

I also have this issue with a ATP100, I currently have a ticket in with support with no results yet and still causing issues. when I run the debug show system status my 'user' catagory is at 88% and this causes the overall CPU 99%. ticket 416015

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Options

Hi @TheSecondComing ,

I need the detail for issue tracking.

Please find the message inbox.

Thank you

Security Highlight