NWA50AX - just upgraded firmware and speed now really slow

Options

Hi, I've just upgraded the firmware on my NWA50AX's tobV6.29(ABYW.3) and the performance of my WiFi has dived. Broadband speed about same as normal 50MB/s but now huge delay on download speeds. I have 5 NWA50AX devices all hard wired back to the SKY router so they are acting as access points. All were working fine until I initiated the firmware upgrade last night

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 499  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Adrian_w

Considering both the Garage and Kitchen APs, updated to the latest firmware, are working fine as you mentioned, it seems the issue isn't with the firmware itself.

Upon reviewing your site, I noticed all devices currently connect to the Kitchen AP via your main SSID, which is set to 5GHz only although you have another SSID (Test) with all bands enabled (2.4GHz, 5GHz, and 6GHz).

Besides, an IoT device with 802.11a/b/g/n capability in your network is connected to the 5GHz band at a signal strength of -83dbm. This means the device is far from the AP and is not effectively roaming to other APs for a better signal. Typically, IoT devices perform better on the 2.4GHz band due to its longer range. While the 5GHz band provides faster speeds, its range is more limited. For improved connectivity and stability, it's recommended to connect this IoT device to the 2.4GHz band, which is generally more suitable for such devices.

As recommended in an earlier comment, please try to enable only 2.4GHz on the 'Test' SSID, along with Assisted Roaming and 802.11r. This action will separate the connections between different bands, especially for devices better suited to the 2.4GHz band like many IoT devices.

Please observe the connection for a while. If the issue still exists, you may use the specific end device to test the connection showing low speed or unstable performance. Then, please share the screen record with us, and provide with the end device information (model name, MAC, network card if any) via private message for security concern.

Zyxel Nami

All Replies

• dukisha016
    Options

Hi!

What speeds are you getting when measuring speeds?
    On V6.29(ABYW.3) I am getting about 400ish up and down. What are your results before and after?

• Adrian_w
    Adrian_w Posts: 9
    First Comment
    Options

It's gone very intermittent. Pretty much nothing, then might come back briefly

• Adrian_w
    First Comment
    Options

I can attach to WiFi in other parts of house where I'm using the SKY boxes as access points. It's just the MW50s that are intermittent

• Adrian_w
    First Comment
    Options

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hello @Adrian_w

Which firmware version did you upgrade from to the current 6.29(ABYW.3)C0? Is it 6.29(ABYW.2)C0 or 6.29(ABYW.1)C0?

It's gone very intermittent. Pretty much nothing, then might come back briefly

⇒ Regarding the intermittent throughput, could you please describe the issue more in detail?

Besides, if you are using Nebula to manage the APs, please enable Zyxel Support Access for us to further investigate, and provide us with your Org/Site name.

Zyxel Nami

• Adrian_w
    First Comment
    Options

Hi Nami, thanks for info. I've enabled the support access. The intermittent is only happening on 2 of the devices (the Office and the 2nd floor one). The kitchen and the garage ones seem to be functioning correctly. The intermittency seems to be like its interference - i can connect but the performance is really slow and will sometimes timeout. I tried resetting the office and 2nd floor ones yesterday and thought initially that it had fixed the issue but found it was the same again this morning.

On the firmware it is now at V6.29(ABYW.4) - I upgraded to the very latest version this morning to see if that fixed the issue. I'm not sure what version it was on before last week - I hadn't checked the versions for a while so they were prob on an older version

• Adrian_w
    First Comment
    Options

Hi, just tried swapping the kitchen unit with the office unit. The kitchen unit in the office exhibited the same problem with the office unit working fine in the kitchen. In my mind this suggests an interference issue. Can you give me some guidance? Thanks

• jpblanch75
    jpblanch75 Posts: 111  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

Have you tried re-terminating the ends of your Cat cables?

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited January 18
    Options

Hello @Adrian_w

Based on your description, it appears that the '2nd floor' and 'Kitchen' units, now both situated in the kitchen, are experiencing issues. This suggests that interference in this area might be the root cause, particularly following the device swapping.

Also, having the 'Avoid 5G DFS channel' feature enabled could restrict your APs from accessing more 5GHz channels, potentially causing them to operate on the same channel and leading to interference. If there are no radar devices in your area, disabling this feature could help in expanding channel availability and improving the overall performance.

Additionally, your 'Roof' AP is operating at a 10/100M link speed. I recommend checking the ethernet cable and the uplink device to ensure they are functioning correctly.

Zyxel Nami

• Adrian_w
    First Comment
    Options

Hi Nami,

I made the changes you suggested and it seems to be a bit better but I'm still getting inconsistent performance. I've turned off the Roof one completely to simplify the network.

When I look at the 2nd floor one I'm a bit confused when it says the connected device is the Office one. Why would that be?

What else can I try? Thanks Adrian