10G Transfer speeds less than direct connection

Options
mickypen
mickypen Posts: 17  Freshman Member
10 Comments

Hello.

I recently purchased a XGS1250-12 managed switch in the home that I could setup my PC and NAS to the router so that all devices are available on the network and have access to the internet.

My PC and NAS have a 10G RJ45 port and I plugged the PC and NAS into 10G ports 10 and 11 on the switch. I then transferred an 11Gb file from my PC (on an SSD drive) to the NAS. The NAS have 6 disks in RAID 0 and is thus very fast.

During the copy, the speed shown went up and down a lot and the speed shown varied from 140 - 265MB/s

So for comparison, I liked the NAS up to the computer directly and after a bit of IP configuring, did a repeat test. The transfer speed in this case was much better, an almost constant line of 383-385MB/s

I didn't spend over £200 to get crappy performance on file transfer, so why is this happening?

Accepted Solution

• mickypen
    10 Comments
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have managed to solve it myself. I switched out one of the cat 6 cables and the performance is much better now.

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,802  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Have you done a firmware update?

• mickypen
    10 Comments
    Options

No, but I can give it a try

• mickypen
    10 Comments
    Options

Just checked, it's using the latest version of the firmware

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 499  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hello @mickypen

We did the local test with 2 desktops (both 10G NIC) connected to XGS1250-12 and the result is as below:

To further investigate your issue, please provide us with the details of your PC and NAS: network card (model name, chipset name, and driver version), and cable type.

Zyxel Nami

• mickypen
    10 Comments
    Options

NAS - TerraMaster T8-422

NIC - Asus XG-C100C

Chipset ?

Marcel driver v3.1.6.0

Cable type - CAT6 - 1M length

• mickypen
    10 Comments
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have managed to solve it myself. I switched out one of the cat 6 cables and the performance is much better now.