GS-108Bv3 only one LAN connection working

Options

Hello. I have NR7101 connected to port 1 on GS-108Bv3, port 2 sends successfully data to EX3301. When I connect another ethernet cable to any ports 3-8 to connect an access point in another room, the LED lights up, but no data is being transferred. When connected to a laptop, it returns "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration". I have very limited network knowledge, please advise.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,676  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @TheodorDeWild,

I assume your current topology is NR7101 - - - - GS-108v3 - - - - (WAN)EX3301. However, since the NR7101 only provides one DHCP IP address in the default setting, your device cannot get an IP address from it.

Please change your topology to NR7101 - - - - (WAN)EX3301(LAN) - - - - GS-108v3 - - - - end devices. The EX3301 supports the DHCP server on LAN, so your end devices can get the DHCP IP address.

Zyxel Melen

• TheodorDeWild
    Options

Thank you for the explanation. The idea for switch first is that it is in the attic connecting the NR7101 to ethernet cables routed internally in concrete walls to rooms one floor below. There the EX3301 and other APs should provide WiFi. If I install first the EX3301 in the attic, then the WiFi signal is rather weak. Is there perhaps some smarter switch that could solve this, or if not, then a cheap basic router just for the purpose of getting the IP from NR7101?

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,814  Guru Member
    edited February 13
    Options

The NR7101 is a router doing NAT so it should work? or you have two ISP one by NR7101 and the other EX3301 on the WAN port?

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,676  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi @TheodorDeWild

Thanks for your detailed information. I recommend you to change NR7101's configuration to provide more DHCP IP addresses to your client. Here's the steps:

1. Please login to your NR7101. You may find the login IP address, the login username and password on the back of the NR7101.
    2. Please click the setting icon on the top of right to see the side bar and setting menu. Then click Network Setting > Home Networking.
    3. Please set Bridge1 and the rest of DHCP server setting.

Hope it helps. If there has any question, please feel free to let me know.

Zyxel Melen

• TheodorDeWild
    Options

Hi @Zyxel_Melen and thank you for the guide. The Bridge1 setup requires IPv6 DNS Values to be filled under User Defined selection to save the config by Apply button. Not sure what should be there. I left everything else on default.

I tried other options under the IPv6 DNS Values like Provided by ISP, Proxy, … which allowed me to Apply the config. But when I set the Bridge 1 config and click Apply to save the settings, I still see the Default setup being used:

These settings are the same as I had from the start, so the switch is still only able to send data through one port and not others.

• TheodorDeWild
    Options

@PeterUK I don't know what "doing NAT" means. The only source for data is NR7101 connected to nearby BTS.

• PeterUK
    Options

So your internet is by only NR7101 ?

• TheodorDeWild
    Options

Yes, only connection is via NR7101.

• PeterUK
    Options

SO you want the NR7101 to be the router doing NAT which I would think be the default? Page 72

https://download.zyxel.com/NR7101/user_guide/NR7101_Version%201.00.pdf

enable both options

Then with the EX3301 you want to disable DHCP LAN server and connent to a LAN port do not use the WAN port