SNMP hardware monitoring of XS1930-12HP and XGS1930-28HP switches

Options
FlamencoAssassin
FlamencoAssassin Posts: 14  Freshman Member
10 Comments Friend Collector

Hi,

Would it be possible to add additional hardware monitoring via SNMP of both of these switches in a future firmware or MIB update?

113 MIB files are provided on your downloads page for the XS1930-12HP but most return no results (including ZYXEL-HW-MONITOR-MIB.mib and ZYXEL-TRANSCEIVER-MIB.mib).

It would be nice to monitor additional data for the following;

• System temperature (Board, MAC, PHY)
  • Fan speeds
  • SFP/Transceiver data (temperature, TX/RX power, voltage, current)

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 952  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited March 4
    Options

Hi @FlamencoAssassin ,

The XS1930-12HP, equipped with Firmware 4.8 or newer version, along with the Access Layer 3 (L3) license, offers the private MIB functionality that meets your requirements.

If you are interested in acquiring this license, we encourage you to reach out to our local distributor or Marketplace.

There is no private MIB functionality with smart managed switch series as XS1930-12HP without license and XGS1930-28HP.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• FlamencoAssassin
    Options

Hi @Zyxel_Judy

I've found where to buy the license and the description doesn't mention anything about MIB functionality.

"XS1930-12HP; Access L3 License; Perpetual

Zyxel Advanced Feature License Access Layer 3 for XS1930-12HP - CLI, AVoIP, Auto PD recovery, Added Network Capacity/Security/VLAN management"

This is very disappointing that this is not provided as standard. The MIB section on the device page doesn't state that a license is required.

Copied from the device web page - no mention that the the L3 license provides private MIB functionality

Access L3 License** (New for V4.80)

• Multilevel CLI
    • CLI (Cisco-like)
    • Expanding Network Capacity
      • IEEE 802.1Q Static VLAN
      • IPv4 Address table
      • MAC table
      • IPv4/IPv6 Static route
      • ACL
    • Networked AV Mode
    • Protocol-Based VLAN
    • IP subnet-based VLAN
    • MAC-based VLAN
    • VLAN isolation
    • IEEE 802.1AD VLAN stacking (QinQ)
    • VLAN mapping
    • MRSTP (Zyxel Proprietary)
    • BPDU transparency
    • Flex link
    • IEEE 802.3ah OAM (Link Discovery, Loopback)
    • BPDU Guard
    • Root Guard
    • IP source guard (IPv4/IPv6)
    • DHCPv6 Snooping
    • IPv6 DHCP trust
    • ARP Inspection
    • ARP Freeze
    • Anti-ARP Scan
    • MAC Freeze
    • DHCP Server Guard
    • MVR support
    • IGMP Snooping Immediate Leave
    • MLD Snooping (MLD v1)
    • sFlow
    • IEEE 802.3x Flow Control
    • Diffserv (DSCP)
    • Auto PD recovery
    • ZUID
    • MAC-based authentication per VLAN
    • Compound Authentication
    • DHCP Client Option60
    • Multiple TACACs+ server
    • Login authentication by TACACS+
    • TACACS+ Accounting
    • Authorization on TACACS+

• FlamencoAssassin
    edited March 7
    Options

I would appreciate a reply from a Zyxel rep on this.

I've noticed that the product page now has "Zyxel private MIB" added to the end of the L3 license features since my post above. But why do the MIBs listed not have a disclaimer that the L3 license is required? This is very misleading and unfair to customers in what appears to be a standard feature requires an additional paid for license. And what does SNMP hardware monitoring have to with Layer 3 features anyway? All I'd like to do is monitor the fans, temperatures and transceivers via SNMP to protect the reliability and longevity of the device. I don't need Layer 3 capability for my requirements.

Surely it would be fair to customers to monitor the standard non-layer 3 features without having to buy an expensive layer 3 licence that the user doesn't need?

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @FlamencoAssassin ,

Thank you for your patience while we work out some details.

The smart managed switches only run with most commonly used features on web GUI, apart from the managed switches with advanced features via CLI or full SNMP manageability.

The private MIB contains these monitoring data, along with many other advanced features, which offers along with the full SNMP offers on Managed switch.

You do make a point on these monitoring data so we will look into your advice on bringing the monitoring data into standard firmware in the future.

Let us reach out to you via private message to see how Zyxel can better ease your network adoption for this case.

• FlamencoAssassin
    edited March 13
    Options

Hi @Zyxel_Judy

Thank you for responding both here and via PM.

If you could look further into bringing SNMP hardware monitoring into the standard firmware that would be very much appreciated by me and I'm sure it will for other customers. I run these switches in a home lab and just want to protect my investment by monitoring the fans, temps and SFPs and able to respond to any abnormal events.

In my opinion it would be fair to your customers to allow monitoring of the standard features enabled on the switch. Therefore without the L3 license - monitor the standard features, with the L3 license - monitor the additional features too.

Regarding the XGS1930-28HP switch, do you plan to release a 4.8 style firmware for this range and if so, please consider the same additional SNMP monitoring?

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi there,

Regarding the hardware monitor, XGS1930 and XS1930 supports all the essential features via Web GUI. Full-scale SNMP features are available on Layer 2 managed switches for enterprise that needs to manage large-scale networks.

We are curious by the interest in utilizing SNMP for home network management, so we will add this to the idea section to see if there are increasing interesting in adopting this feature for smart-managed switch. We encourage you to visit our idea post and share your particular reasons for your application:

As for the XGS1930-28HP switch firmware, we plan to upgrade the XGS1930 series to version 4.80 or later to support the latest Web GUI design in the future. Please follow the link below for the most up-to-date information regarding this switch: Switch New Release — Zyxel Community

• FlamencoAssassin
    Options

Many thanks @Zyxel_Judy 👍️