XS1930-12HP weird PoE warning log

Options
gandolf
gandolf Posts: 2
Friend Collector First Comment
edited March 15 in Switch

Got log entries like:

2 2024-03-14T15:44:42-07:00 NO system: PoE power usage is less than 95% threshold

remaining power is 147.0W

3 2024-03-14T15:44:41-07:00 NO system: PoE power usage exceeds 95% threshold

4 2024-03-14T13:40:52-07:00 NO system: PoE power usage is less than 95% threshold

5 2024-03-14T13:40:51-07:00 NO system: PoE power usage exceeds 95% threshold

However, the switch's total PoE power budget is 375W so if the PoE usage is really exceeds 95%, the remaining power should be < 18.75W, not 147W. The real PoE power usage is ~55W, well below the threshold. Per port usage is < 12W. The switch and all the PoE devices work fine other than the log entries.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 966  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @gandolf ,

Could you please gather the tech-support files? This will enable us to quickly investigate the issue and offer a solution.

To provide the tech-support file securely, please send them privately by navigating to my account and selecting "Message".

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hello,

Thank you for your swift response and for providing the tech-support information. We will review the details and contact you with any updates as soon as possible.

Best regards,
    Judy

• FlamencoAssassin
    FlamencoAssassin Posts: 15  Freshman Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector
    edited March 16
    Options

My XS1930-12HP had a similar issue on the same day. Coincidentally I was near the switch and noticed the fans making a lot of noise, logged in and they were above 8000rpm. The temps were OK at around 40 degrees C (actually dropped to 35 with the higher fan speed). The fans settled down to their usual ~3600rpm after a few minutes.

Log entries;

14 2024-03-14T17:50:08Z NO system: PoE power usage is less than 95% threshold, remaining power is 361.6W
    15 2024-03-14T17:50:07Z NO system: PoE power usage exceeds 95% threshold, remaining power is 0.0W

After scrolling through the whole log, this is the only occurrence since I've had the switch (Sept 2022).

I have four PoE devices connected that usually draw about 13W to 14W total (3% of budget), one 802.3af and three 802.3af/at so they're not capable of drawing the full 375W budget.

I'm running the latest V4.80(ABQF.3) firmware.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @FlamencoAssassin ,

Could you please gather the technical support files as well?

You can send them privately by navigating to my account and selecting "Message".

• FlamencoAssassin
    Options

Tech support file sent.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @gandolf , @FlamencoAssassin ,

Upon reviewing the diagnostic file, we have identified the issue as an abnormal PoE log. However, we were unable to replicate the issue at our facility. Therefore, we ask you to proceed with the RMA process.

For EU customers, you can initiate the RMA process using the following link:

https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360002463234-How-do-I-claim-warranty-service-for-my-Zyxel-product-RMA-Process-

For US customers, please use the following link to start the RMA process:

https://mysupport.zyxel.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• FlamencoAssassin
    Options

It's only happened on the one occasion so not a surprise that you couldn't replicate in your lab. Did you run the date as 14th March 2024?

Do you really want us to send our switches for RMA?

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @FlamencoAssassin ,

You have the option to proceed with the RMA. However, given that the issue occurred only once, you may also choose to continue using the switch and monitor it. If the problem happens again, please collect the technical support to share with us and then initiate the RMA process.

• FlamencoAssassin
    Options

Thanks @Zyxel_Judy

Given that you couldn't replicate the problem and therefore have no fix, a replacement may suffer from the same issue. Therefore I'll hang on to my switch for now and keep monitoring.