XMG1915-10E Password Encryption not working?

Options
cbeckstein
cbeckstein Posts: 17  Freshman Member
10 Comments
edited April 8 in Switch

Two XMG1915-10E switches each with latest switch firmware V4.80(ACGO.1)20240305 | 03/05/2024.

One of them (let us call it AZ) acts as Master for the switch-cluster consisting of AZ and the other XMG1915-10E (let us call it WZ) —- configured in Maintenance - Cluster Management in switch AZ.

Cluster works fine…

Today I changed both switches to encrypt passwords —- set password encryption to on in Security - Access Control - Account Security (no exception ticked in the Display section), saved the configs, and made configuration backups of each

BUT:

In the backup configuration file of AZ, the cluster member entry for WZ still shows the UNENCRYPTED login password of WZ (with the exception of the added line "password encryption" the file has the same content as the one I made immediately before setting password encryption on for the switches)

Best Answers

• cbeckstein
    10 Comments
    edited April 8 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, I can confirm this…

The password there (in the saved config backup file for AZ) is the original UNencrypted one (of the cluster member WZ) although both, AZ and WZ have Password Encryption set to ON…

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 944  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @cbeckstein ,

At the time of this writing, the spec of the encryption password feature located in Security > Access Control > Account Security is designed to encrypt passwords for 'User' and 'AAA' accounts only. This setting does not affect the encryption of Cluster passwords.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @cbeckstein ,

Can you confirm that the image below accurately represents the issue you are experiencing?

If not, could you please provide a screenshot? This will help us better understand the problem and assist you more effectively.

• cbeckstein
    10 Comments
    edited April 8 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, I can confirm this…

The password there (in the saved config backup file for AZ) is the original UNencrypted one (of the cluster member WZ) although both, AZ and WZ have Password Encryption set to ON…

• Zyxel_Judy
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @cbeckstein ,

At the time of this writing, the spec of the encryption password feature located in Security > Access Control > Account Security is designed to encrypt passwords for 'User' and 'AAA' accounts only. This setting does not affect the encryption of Cluster passwords.