XGS1010-12 autonegotiating only to 100mbps

tstadd
tstadd Posts: 3
First Comment

Hi

Is there a specific network card you need to use with this to get 2.5gbps? Or even 1gbps?!

I've got an XGS1010-12 and have tried connecting it to my main workstation which has an Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-LM - gigabit port, but it'll only connect to the Zyxel switch at 100mbps, not 1gbps.

So I've tried two different chipset Realtek adapters - RTL8153 and RTL8156B - and get the exact same thing. They'll autonegotiate down to 100mbps, no higher.

The cables are CAT6 from a wall socket to the switch in the attic, CAT5e 1m patch from wall to PC.

If I connect the Realtek adapters to a laptop and connect to a Fritz!Box, they connect at 1gbps. Connect it to the XGS, and they drop down to 100mbps.

So I've got a different chipset NIC on order (RTL8157) to see if that'll work properly and am keeping an eye out for an ASIX AX88279 but can anyone explain why it is that even the Intel motherboard NIC won't work at all unless it autonegotiates (or is manually set to) 100mbps?

The only other one I haven't tried yet is RTL8153, but it just seems a bit mad to me that a brand new switch won't do any better than 100mbps and I bought it to replace a five year old router that merrily autonegotiates at 1gbps with the same kit.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 655  Zyxel Employee
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Security Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Nebula Zyxel Certified Sales Associate

Hello @tstadd

Which ports have you tried to connect the switch and other devices?

First, please try testing with different cables. If the problem continues, try using different ports on the switch. Then, kindly share with us the result.

Thank you

Engage in the Community, become an MVP, and win exclusive prizes! https://bit.ly/Community_MVP

Nami

• tstadd
    First Comment

Any of the ports. But it's a bit weird. It's only this one PC that will not autonegotiate higher than 100mbps and this issued persists even if I change the network card.

I've tried three different chipset network cards on that one computer, and I get the exact same result every time.

The 1gbps Intel onboard NIC and two different chipset Realtek NICs (one of which is 2.5gbps) will not work above 100mbps if connected directly to the Zyxel. All three will autonegotiate down to 100mbps. If I force them into 1gbps full duplex mode, they don't see the network at all.

But if I put a switch between the Zyxel and those NICs, then all three of then happily autonegotiate at 1gbps AND they all work if I set them to use 1gbps full duplex without autonegotiation. I'm using the same port on the Zyxel, and the same cables, so that rules out a broken cable or connector.

In summary:

Zyxel —→ Cat6 cable 1 —→ NIC ⇒ all 3 NICs will only work at 100mpbs
    Zyxel —→ Cat6 cable 1 → Fritz!Box → cable 2 → NIC ⇒ all 3 NICs work at 1gpbs
    Zyxel —→ Cat6 cable 1 → 4 port budget TPLINK switch → cable 2 → NIC ⇒ all 3 NICs work at 1gpbs

I have an Android TV, a Macbook, and a few other devices, that autonegotiate at 1gbps when connected to the Zyxel, without any problem at all. But they're different chipsets, so a mix of Broadcom, Marvell, and other Intel ones.
    For example, the I2xx and 825xx network cards on my older kit does work at 1gbps on the Zyxel without a problem, but the I219-LM won't.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Security Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Nebula Zyxel Certified Sales Associate

Hello @tstadd

Zyxel —→ Cat6 cable 1 —→ NIC ⇒ all 3 NICs will only work at 100mpbs

⇒ To confirm, are these 3 NICs RTL8153, RTL8156B and I219-LM?

I have tested the connection between our local XGS1010-12 and my laptop with the RTL8153 (driver version: 10.33.419.2019) as below, and it linked to 1G successfully.

Please share the driver version of your 3 NICs for us to investigate further.

Thank you.

Engage in the Community, become an MVP, and win exclusive prizes! https://bit.ly/Community_MVP

Nami

• tstadd
    First Comment

Yes.

Intel drivers - tried multiple versions from 12.19.2.56 (supplied by Lenovo for this specific system) including 12.19.2.60.

Realtek drivers tested: 11.15.20.327, 1156.2.716.2021, 11.4.0211.2022, 11.16.0605.2024. I tried installing your 10.33.419.2019 version and Win11 x64 doesn't seem to like that version.

VID_0BDA&PID_8156&REV_3104 = 8156B

VID_0BDA&PID_0153&REV_3100 = 8153

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited July 11

Hi @tstadd

The cables are CAT6 from a wall socket to the switch in the attic, CAT5e 1m patch from wall to PC.

⇒ Based on this description, we assume that the PC is not connected directly to the switch, could you please try cabling the PC directly to the switch?

Besides, please try disabling power saving (Energy Efficient Ethernet) for the Intel network card as suggested in this Intel article.

Nami