Cannot connect to wireless network when Internet is down

kevindd992002
kevindd992002 Posts: 23  Freshman Member
10 Comments First Anniversary Friend Collector

So my NWA210AX AP's in two sites are all cloud-connected. Whenever there is an Internet outage, all SSID's go down and I cannot access my network. They are up and being broadcasted but clients cannot connect to them. This is very very very hassle for me as I need to connect directly to a switch just to access my firewall and see why the Internet is down. What is the sense of purposely doing this in the first place?

@Zyxel_Kay

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 898  Zyxel Employee
    Second Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security

Hi @kevindd992002

Thank you for reaching out.

The issue you're experiencing with wireless clients not connecting to the SSID when the Internet is down is often related to the client's own behavior. Many devices are designed to disconnect from a network if they detect no Internet connection, which can cause the issue you're describing.

To troubleshoot your firewall network issue, I recommend setting a static IP on your PC and connecting directly to your switch or firewall via an Ethernet cable. This will allow you to access your network devices even when the Internet is down and help you diagnose the problem.

Kay

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

• kevindd992002

That is inaccurate. I have my mobile device to "connect always" to this SSID even if there is no Internet. My laptop connects to any SSID's without Internet too. I have another site with all Ubiquiti access points and I have no issues connecting to the network when there is no Internet connection. I need to have local network access if there is no Internet.

This issue only happens with my NWA210AX AP's. What troubleshooting steps do you need me to provide to prove that this is the case?

Connecting with an Ethernet cable is a workaround but not the solution to this issue. The firewall is just one example of why I need local network access. I want my wireless clients to have local network connectivity even if there is no Internet connection, for VARIOUS reasons.

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 898  Zyxel Employee
    Second Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security

Hi @kevindd992002

The AP is designed to maintain connections to WiFi clients even when there is no Internet connection. The issue you're experiencing is unusual and may require a closer look at your specific setup.

To better understand and replicate your scenario, I have tested the following configuration:

Firewall (DHCP server, without WAN connection) — Switch — NWA210AX ))) Laptop (set to always connect)

In this setup, my laptop does not drop the connection with the AP even when there is no Internet connection.

Could you please provide more details about your network topology? This will help us identify any potential differences or issues in your setup.

Kay

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

• kevindd992002

Ok, I just tested this in my "Casa MF" site and I can also connect to the wifi AP's properly when the Internet connection is down. This site has a basic flat network topology.

Opnsense firewall (dhcp, dns, router) -> brocade icx6450 switch -> 9 x NWA210AX AP's

I have to test the same scenario in my "Condo" site because this is where I initially experienced the issue. I can test next week again. This also has basic flat network topology.

Opnsense firewall (dhcp, dns, RADIUS, router) -> 2.5GbE switch -> 1 x NWA210AX AP

For the Condo site, one of the SSID's is connecting to the RADIUS server for authentication. However, the connection issue also happens to the SSID's that have basic WPA2 authenticaion (without RADIUS) setup. I can tell you more when I test this next week. I will post back.