All Replies

• xsentinel
    xsentinel Posts: 13  Freshman Member
    First Comment

If it works, I'll post what I had to do here. 😎

• xsentinel
    First Comment

OK so I got the H and started playing around with it and here is my initial impression.

First of all you cannot administer it locally as I describe it. In order to start it up you HAVE to have an internet connection and you MUST register with them. The you MUST register with Nebula whether you intend to use it or not. You cannot download firmware and install it locally yourself. It must be downloaded by the router itself. You are tied at the hip with Zyxel.

I have not intention of using any of their UTM stuff but you have to download it anyway (free trial I guess). So I am in the process of trying to figure out how to turn all this stuff off. Not easy.

I'll post back as I figure out more but so far I might be sending this back. All I want is a local router/firewall that allows me to separate traffic on my home LAN. This thing is overly complicated for that purpose.

Also it uses 192.168.168.x as the LAN so I'm going to have to change everything to change it over to the more normal 192.168.0.x which all my rules are set up for.

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 3,318  Guru Member
    100 Answers 2500 Comments Friend Collector Seventh Anniversary

Yes you have to register with Nebula or you get a screen tell you to register which you don't have too and I too don't like you have to download firmware by the FLEX H but its not that big of a problem really and for needing a internet to get the ball rolling is a pain but when its done its done and really it would be connected to the internet any way.

But you don't config by Nebula even if registered so it is still administer locally

• xsentinel
    First Comment

Yes. Agreed. Still playing with it now. Of course everything is in a different place than the USG40 that it took me a long time to finally get used to but it "appears" as though everything is there. I just have to hunt around and find it all.

So as to not look to dumb I am going to spend the next few hours reading the 500 page manual. 😐️

My first goal will be to change it from 192.168.168.x to 192.168.0.x for the LAN interface.

Next goal will be to set up a second LAN that uses 192.168.2.x and make sure that they can't "talk" to each other; separate them. Steep learning curve there.

Any insight to accomplishing these things will be greatly appreciated.

Security Highlight