ZyXel USG60W - 0 upload speed & limited WiFi range

Options
AndreYPB
AndreYPB Posts: 13  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited April 2021 in Security

Hello,

I have purchased 3 USG60W which I plan to setup at 3 different sites.

I have a 100/100 dedicated fibre connection at each site. I have setup the first ZyXel USG60W and upgraded to the latest available firmware for my region (UK). However I am noting that the WiFi range is much much lower than the bog standard ADSL BT home hub which was in place as a temporary broadband before the Fibre line was installed.

Additionally, the quality of the connection is extremely poor - I initially I only had 1 device connected to the wifi which was about 50 CM away from it and web pages load very poor - upon doing a speed test I get the following:

15 Mpbs download

0.01 Mpbs upload

When I connect the same device to the BT home hub on ADSL connection regardless of how far or close I am to the hub, I get 4 Mpbs down and 2 Mpbs upload.

The device is a windows 10, Asus Laptop. I then tried with a Samsung Galaxy 9 Android Smart phone - same results.

When connected to LAN I get 100/100 Mbps up and down no problem. I expect to get lower speeds on wifi as it is slower than connecting via LAN. But these speeds are diabolical. and the Upload speed is always 0.01 Mbps which is just unworkable as once this site is live (end of this week) most of the users will be using wireless devices to connect and work from.

Please note that I have been using the USG series for the last 10 years. I have setup USG60W for about 8 clients in the last 3 years (My company is an IT providor) and have never had any problems with wifi on these devices.

I have been trying different settings for the last week and seen no improvement. The one thing I did notice about these USG60W's is that they use less amps than previous models - these are 12v 2.5 AMPs and previous models I purchased for clients were 3 AMPs. Does half an amp difference really impact wifi performance that much??

I would appreciate any guidance on that as I am about to give up on ZyXel all together at this rate.

Thanks

Andre

Accepted Solution

• AndreYPB
    Answer ✓
    Options

Coming back to this after a few years, I got to the bottom of it myself. The MTU size needed to be set to 1472 as the carrier (EE) doesn't support 1500. In case anyone else gets this issue in future.

I never resolved the issue with 5G wifi, which I am now doing with different devices in another thread.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,462  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @AndreYPB

The speed of upload is really slow on your side.

What is your Wireless NIC link speed and signal quality when your laptop connect to USG60W ?

Can you send me your configuration file via private message? I would like to have some test based on your configuration.

Windows Wireless Network Connection Status:

• AndreYPB
    Options

No, it's not my side - it is the ZyXel USG60W that is the issue. As I said I have 3 and all 3 have the same symptoms.

My link speed is 130 Mbps and wifi signal is at full speed across all devices. I have disabled 5G and I now get reasonable download speeds on the Windows 10 Laptop. However... all android devices (An LG Smart TV running Android WebOS), 3 Android smart phones all have 0 upload speed with full wifi signal.. The bulk of my users will be using android devices.

I plugged in a cisco router... and viola works like a charm 94-96 Mbps upload speed across all devices.

I visited my client whom I setup a USG60W for back in 2014... and the upload speed works perfectly on his older model USG60W. I have mirrored the settings on my device to that of his in case it is a mis-configuration on my end - no luck.

I have even disabled security leaving the wifi open - same thing - 0 upload speed.

If I enable 5G, then the devices that support 5G also have 0 upload speed and I basically useless.

I am in the UK - is there a support number I can call who can attempt to resolve this for me? Because if I can't resolve this by tomorrow at the latest I will return all 3 devices and have no choice but to go with cisco, after 10 years of exclusively using ZyXel it would be a shame if this kink can't be ironed out.

• Zyxel_Vic
    Zyxel_Vic Posts: 281  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi @AndreYPB

We will contact you and try to help on the problem you met. Would you leave your phone number to me in private message?

• Zyxel_Vic
    Zyxel_Vic Posts: 281  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi @AndreYPB

After investigating in this issue by check on your PC remotely, it seems that your ISP blocked specific port/website/services and the USG60W seems to work fine. You may need to double confirm with the service provider to understand further.

• AndreYPB
    Answer ✓
    Options

Coming back to this after a few years, I got to the bottom of it myself. The MTU size needed to be set to 1472 as the carrier (EE) doesn't support 1500. In case anyone else gets this issue in future.

I never resolved the issue with 5G wifi, which I am now doing with different devices in another thread.

Security Highlight