Can I use zywall usg series without myzyxel registration?

SandB
SandB Posts: 17  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
I'd like to use zywall usg series without myzyxel registration.
But I can't progress installation wizard at myzyxel registration.

All Replies

• USG_User
    USG_User Posts: 369  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited August 2020
    Maybe you have to setup the USG without using the Wizard. Then it should work. But I guess without registration you are not able to use the UTM features like A/V, IDP, Content Filter, etc. where you have to subscibe to for updating the signatures regularly. Without that your USG remains a simple port based firewall. In such case there would be no need to spend so much money for a "next generation firewall" and you could purchase a simple port based firewall.
  • Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,278  Zyxel Employee

@USG_User You're right B)

@SandB,

It is not recommended that you bypass the wizard since the registration is required for activating the UTM services and cloud firmware upgrading.

All ZyWALL/USG/ATP/VPN models has initial setup wizard.

If you would like to skip "step 3. Register Device" and "step 4. Activate Service" in wizard because of no Internet connection, click "Skip" and "yes" to skip registration and activation.

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,651  Guru Member
    But how will you get the updates? 
  • I manual download and flashed with latest firmware.   Evidently this has changed. I started setting up with the Initial Setup Wizard and cannot skip.  Is there a direct url that might work?  The problem is I need to change the device IP address, because as soon as it comes online it will conflict with the existing modem on 192.168.1.1 and I will be scr...d because I am configuring remotely.

• PeterUK

Registering is a pain

Well your not configuring remotely because by default WAN to Zywall is not allowed but I think I know the problem, if the router the Zywall is connected to 192.168.1.1 has DNS 192.168.1.1 this will cause problem so change DNS not sure if the wizard let you do that.

• WJS
    WJS Posts: 123  Ally Member
    You have to leave Internet access to skip the registration process.

• peters2
    peters2 Posts: 1
    First Comment

I have the new USG Flex 500 and there is no Skip button - how to skip registration?

• PeterUK
    edited April 2023

see here

https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/4413561131666-ATP-USG-FLEX-Skip-UTM-activation-in-Wizard

Security Highlight