GS1200-5 strange behavior

jpierre76
jpierre76 Posts: 9
edited August 2022 in Switch
Greetings,

I followed the user guide and created VLAN2 ont port 1.
Then I created PVID 1 => VLAN 2 => Port 1
If I repeat say for vlan 3, PVID 2 => VLAN3 => Port 2 - It crashes.
I need to reset et start again.
Tried on Mac, PC and now on Linux via Firefox
The firmware is: V1.00(ABKM.4)C0

Is there a workaround please? I am giving a demo on cybersecurity tomorrow saturday 25 October and need a smooth platform.

Cheers,
Jimmy

#Home_Switch_Oct_2019

Comments

• Mel
    Mel Posts: 83  Ally Member
    Do you configure GS1200-5 such as below?

Is possible to provide the screenshot of VLAN setting page?
    Please share your network topology and how do you connect GS1200-5.
  • Hi Mel,
    Thanks for stepping in.
    I connect from the LAN with any browser to 192.168.1.3 with admin and new password.
    Topology is simple:
    Port 1,2,3,4 for vLANS and Port 5 connected to gateway address: 192.168.1.1
    PVID Port 1 to vlan 2
    VLAN 3 and 4 common trunk.
    Port 2 is free; nothing connected.
    Please note that mixing ports 3 / 4 is new. The crash appear before.

The idea is to have a different dhcp/dns server on each vLAN and having 192.168.1.1 as common gateway. And each vLAN will be running its own hotspot. All that with seperate and independent devices.

Question: I see that you have only one PVID declared, is that "by design"? By that I mean, no other PVID can be declared?

Also, no newer firmware as far as you know:V1.00(ABKM.4)C0 is my current one.

Cheers Mel,
    Jimmy

PS. If anybody has been able to declare say 3 PVID, and wish to share the backup, I will be most happy to try.

• Mel
    I'm following the setting on my GS1200-5, but I don't encountered any crash.
    PVID Port 1 to vlan 2.

Can you explain what kind of crash occurred?
    Does the LEDs abnormal blinking? Or you cannot access the web interface after configured?
  • Hi Mel,

The browsers (ie, FF, Chrome, Safari) freze and get garbled. No ping to 192.168.1.3. And no connection possible, only the *reset* button.

Being colorblind, I cannot tell what the leds do.

Does that answer your question?
    Cheers,
    Jimmy
  • PS. I just reproduces the crash (easy). Here is a pic of the Switch with the DELs.

• PS. Just to add that until I create a PVID, the browsers no not freeze. Only that the switch acts as a sort of hub.I have not tried to connect any other port. Just Port 1 with VLAN 2.
  • Mel
    Which port that you connected GS1200-5 to configure?

May I know if you only connect one PC/NB to configure GS1200-5 as below setting.
    GS1200-5---<Ethernet cable>---PC/NB
    PVID Port 1 to vlan 2.
    Does GS1200-5 still encountered crashes?
  • Hi Mel,

I use VLAN ID 02 Port 1 to connect to 192.168.1.3
    Port 5 connects to Gateway 192.168.1.1

If I do not create a PVID, no crash can be observed. But as soon as I create a PVID for example: PVID 2 Port 1, I lose connection, no ping, browsers become garbled. I need to reset the switch.

Maybe there is no need to create PVID for this switch?

No new firmware as far as you know? Actual : V1.00(ABKM.4)C0

Cheers,
    Jimmy

• Mel

As you can see the release note of GS1200-5, the management VID is VLAN 1 only, which means only VLAN 1 member can access its web interface.

Your port 1 is PVID 2, if the device is connected to port 1, then it cannot access the web interface.
    Please try to connect to VLAN 1's port, after that, you should able to access it.