USG40 BWM in 4.30 firmware

kelmi
kelmi Posts: 29  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited April 2021 in Security
Hello,

After upgrading to 4.30 firmware, BWM will make sure, traffic is really not really going through my USG40, at least not to uplink direction. Exactly the same configuration in 4.25 was working fine.

I have Content Filter 2 with GeoIP activated as well. I'm not sure, if BWM issue is related to a specific combination of activated features. 

Anyone else having this issue? I can tell, that when there is a bunch of Apple devices within the same WiFi all the time syncing something to iCloud in a network, where uplink is not "too wide", I really have a problem at the moment.

Regards
Kelmi

Comments

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Hello kelmi,
    I want to confirm with you that after you upgraded the firmware to 4.30, you think the uplink traffic does not follow BWM rule? and do all clients connect to USG via AP?(which AP model)
    Secondly, please pm me the configuration and topology for checking further.
    Charlie
  • kelmi
    edited December 2017
    Hello kelmi,
    I want to confirm with you that after you upgraded the firmware to 4.30, you think the uplink traffic does not follow BWM rule? and do all clients connect to USG via AP?(which AP model)
    Secondly, please pm me the configuration and topology for checking further.
    Charlie
    Hello,

It's not about BWM rule to work, but when I activate BWM even without any rules except the default one, all the uplink traffic stops completely.  Does not go through at all. I'm not sure about downlink direction.

The AP, what I have is Apple Airport Extreme, which is configured to work in bridge mode. 

My network topology is very simple: There is the AP, in bridge mode, which is connected to one of the USG40 Ethernet ports to LAN1. For WAN I have an ADSL modem. My ISP provides the IP address via DHCP to USG. 

The same config was working fine with 4.25 and with earlier firmwares as well.

Kelmi
  • kelmi
    Hello,

I found the reason for this issue. I had 0kbps as a setting in Network->Interface->Ethernet, both in WAN1 and LAN1 for Egress. With 4.25 and earlier versions, this has been ok. With 4.30 I need to put realistic value for those.

At least now BWM activation does not freeze the whole USG throughput and USG is matching the traffic to the rules, I can see that from the log files.

Kelmi

Security Highlight