USG20 Sys LED Flashing red

Options
VIdeosplicer
VIdeosplicer Posts: 3
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
Any advice in getting past the flashing red SYS led? Unit worked for a few good years trouble free then out of nowhere SYS LED started flashing. Won't boot, won't communicate via the console. Hard and soft resets make no difference. Powers on, starts to boot, maybe 10 seconds later SYS LED starts flashing. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• jellibub
    jellibub Posts: 1
    First Answer First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Options
    had the same issue, it was a defective fan inside, when i replaced it the unit booted again...
  • VIdeosplicer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just bought the exact make and model of the fan from eBay, 12 bucks new. A lot cheaper than having it serviced.

All Replies

• CHS
    CHS Posts: 177  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Vldeosplicer
    You can make sure console baud rate is 115200 first and restart USG20 again. If it still without any response...then it should be hardware broken.
    You can consider upgrading your device to USG Flex series.
    https://www.zyxel.com/tw/zh/products_services/USG-FLEX-Firewall-USG-FLEX-100/license-and-spec
  • jellibub
    jellibub Posts: 1
    First Answer First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Options
    had the same issue, it was a defective fan inside, when i replaced it the unit booted again...
  • VIdeosplicer
    Options

Holy smoke, you are right @jellibub! The fan was dead in the unit. As a test, I unplugged it and used a large fan I had around from a old PC build. The fan spinned, and eventually, the USG booted to ready! Well, this was years ago and I have a USG60 and a USG120, but now I know how to get the USG20 back in working order!

• VIdeosplicer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just bought the exact make and model of the fan from eBay, 12 bucks new. A lot cheaper than having it serviced.

Security Highlight