USG 60 & 310 need power off & onm after firmware upgrade

Options
Emerald
Emerald Posts: 36  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments
edited April 2021 in Security
Hi ,ive got many usg's

last 2 - 3 firmware updates two of them reboot after the update but dont come back.
I just have power light on and flashing sys led.
Rocker switch on back does not fix, we have to remove power lead for 5 seconds then put back. when usg powers back up all is then ok

any ideas please?

All Replies

• danyedinak
    danyedinak Posts: 49  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Options
    How long did you wait after the update? I just had one that I thought had failed, but it actually took a good 20 minutes after it "rebooted" to finally come back to life (on its own - no additional reboots required). Keep in mind that the "20 minutes" is really an estimate as I wasn't watching it very closely at the time, but it was far, far longer than I typically find that process takes.
  • Asgatlat
    Asgatlat Posts: 81  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options
    same for me, the 4.62 FW take a long time to apply compare to older FW, be patient
  • Emerald
    Emerald Posts: 36  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments
    Options
    Morning,

this isnt a itme issue, Both routers are remote one was down for 2 days as we couldnt get hands onsite.
    This is a major issue for us. It means i need to send a engineer to site jsut to do a firmware update....
  • Asgatlat
    Asgatlat Posts: 81  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options
    as zyxel says, for the 4.62 FW a cold reboot is needed if you used 4.39 before
  • flyerwireIT
    flyerwireIT Posts: 2
    Friend Collector
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I need to revive this discussion.

As I understand, we need to power off/on our device in order to install v4.62.

Does the system then automagically know it should use the new firmware? Because under "firmware management", there's only the option to select the new firmware (which is in the standby slot) and reboot, which will propably perform a soft reboot, I guess.

How do we tell the device to use v4.62 instead of the currently running one?
  • Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,454  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @FlyerwireIT,

Welcome to Zyxel community.  :)

It depends on which partition you selected to update firmware. Device boot up will based on your selection to boot up.

MAINTENANCE > Firmware Management >

• flyerwireIT
    flyerwireIT Posts: 2
    Friend Collector
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi @FlyerwireIT,

Welcome to Zyxel community.  :)

It depends on which partition you selected to update firmware. Device boot up will based on your selection to boot up.

MAINTENANCE > Firmware Management >

Hi @Zyxel_Cooldia,

just to confirm: Selecting the upgrade in the standby slot and then performing the reboot from the web interface is enough?

If not, can you provide the steps required to perform a cold restart?

Thank you!
  • Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,454  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @FlyerwireIT
    To be exact, the device will read the image number value to decide which partition boot up to be used when the device is turned on/cold restart. You can confirm this by referring to the cli “show the firmware image number”.
    On top of that, when you hit “reboot” button in Web GUI, the device will set/save boot up partition based on your selection.

Hit “Reboot” button, the web configurator send CLI “set firmware boot number 1”to Zysh.

How to check boot up partition:
    Router(config)# show firmware image number

Security Highlight